Serial ## to upgrade Tiger to Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eclipse, Feb 20, 2008.

1. eclipse macrumors 6502a

eclipse

Hi all,
    I'm tidying the office and am looking through my old Tiger packs... and can't seem to see where the Licence number is. Do I need a licence number when I upgrade to Tiger, or is it just a standard purchase price for all?
    (I'm in Australia.)

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Nope, there's no serial or licence number. Any retail boxed version of Leopard will allow you to upgrade or install on a fresh system.

3. eclipse thread starter macrumors 6502a

eclipse

So it's the standard price as well? No discount for being a loyal Mac loving user for many, many years? ;)

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Nope, 1 price for all...unless you can get EDU discount.

5. cc bcc macrumors 6502

OS X never had upgrade prices, you must have noticed that in those many many years. ;)

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

OSX has always been at upgrade price: there is no "full price". The retail copy is only licensed to install on a Mac. As it's a Mac it must already have a copy of Mac OS on it...

7. cc bcc macrumors 6502

^ That's a never ending discussion. Does the EULA demand you have an earlier version of OS X? Nope. Does it check for a previous install? No. The retail version doesn't.

I've once had an upgrade version of OS X, I believe 10.3. The G5 I had ordered at the time came with 10.2 but I recieved a free upgrade. The install disk checked if 10.2 was installed, only then would it continue with installing 10.3. I know this, because right before installing 10.3 I decided to wipe my harddrive. 10.3 wouldn't install so I had to install 10.2 again...

That's what I call an upgrade version. The retail one is different, so I can't call that an upgrade version. The name is taken. IMHO that is.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I challenge you to install an unmodified copy of Mac OS on a system that's never had it before.

9. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Yes, technically it already is at the "upgrade price"

10. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

What about from 10.0 to 10.1 as I recall (actually I am looking at the cd right now:D) Apple had upgrade discs for early adopters. I think this was the only time for a lower upgrade price.