Series 0 Apple Watch Battery Life Halved Overnight

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jondy1703, Jan 8, 2017.

1. jondy1703 macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!

Earlier this week, my Apple Watch battery life has been the same since I first purchased it (March 2016) where it would last me about two days. This week, on Thursday night, it was one of the days where I would need to charge my watch, but I was planning on working out. So I charged the watch to full (only after draining to below 10 percent as usual) and then I pulled it off and did my workout so it would get recorded. Then I turned it off until the next day, as usual.

To my surprise, the watch drained in record time and was dead by the end of Friday. I also had to charge again on Saturday night.

Any ideas on what the issue may be? If I have AppleCare, do they have a diagnostic to look at the battery at the store like they do with phones?

Thank you for your time and help.

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Occasionally the battery percentage gets glitchy. It is possible that its a one or two time fluke or it could be onset of other issues. Only thing you can do is continue to monitor it. Once in a while I will have a day or two of really bad battery life, but then it immediately goes back to normally.

3. jondy1703 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply! It seems like today is another bad battery life day. Already at 76% after waking up around 9 AM. I'll monitor it throughout the week and if it's still bad by the weekend I'll probably make a Genius appointment.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Have you installed any new apps recently? Sometimes that can be the culprit. You mentioned you have AppleCare, but do you have AppleCare plus? If so it might be easier to just give Apple Support a call and do a express replacement. Sometimes going to the Apple Store leaves you without a watch for a few days.

5. jondy1703 thread starter macrumors newbie

I paid the extra money so I assume it is AppleCare Plus. How does an express replacement work? Will they actually do that without inspecting the watch first?

6. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If you contact them and tell them you are having battery issues (assuming its more than a couple day fluke) they will typically send you out a new one and you ship this one back. AppleCare Plus does include battery replacement. They place a hold on your credit card until they receive your watch back. There is really nothing the Apple Store could do as they would ship it to the engineers anyway. There is no way to run diagnostics on the Apple Watch at an Apple Store.

For the record, I typically wait about 2 weeks to be sure the issue is actually an issue.

7. jondy1703 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, thank you for the info! I will give it another week or so and see how it goes.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

First try restarting and then try repairing. Probably 'stuck' in a loop 'transferring' BT data to the iPhone. In all likelihood repairing will cure it.

9. jondy1703 thread starter macrumors newbie

Re-pairing didn't do the trick sadly. But thanks for the recommendation!

10. jakerichva Suspended

My watch had a couple of days of poor battery. I had turned on mail and all the spam coming to my inbox was driving the battery into the dumper. I did a force reset and that seemed to kill the loop that was eating the battery. All has been good ever since.