Series 0 or Series 2

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BlackMamba14, Oct 10, 2016.

1. BlackMamba14 macrumors regular

Deciding between getting a brand new Series 0 SS for 325$ or getting a Series 2 SS for 599$.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

3. doboy macrumors 68000

I personally went for the SS S0 recently from my S0 sports b/c it was $350 w/ leather loop compared to $700 for the S2. Since I had the S0 sports for over a year I knew what I was getting into. Next year when SS S2 gets to ~$350 or lower I'll upgrade, unless S3 is too good to wait.

4. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

If you look at the trends of apple first gen products they get the shortest amount of time for support usually due to hardware limitations. The AW 2 is much more future proof, especially with how tough the SS is, due to its dual core processor. I would spend the extra on the 2 if you can afford it and then decide next gen if you want to upgrade instead of need to upgrade like I assume the 0 will need to be retired within the "2 year" cycle

5. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Well, key differences are:
    1. Speed of the CPU
    2. Water resistance
    3. Swim tracking
    4. GPS for stand-alone use
    5. S2 marginally thicker and heavier

So, it depends on your intended use. If any of these apply, then get the S2:
    • Swimming with the watch
    • Running without a phone, where distance accuracy is important
    • Running more 3rd party apps where speed might be more noticeable (native apps on the S0 are not too bad)
    • Desire to always have the latest tech

6. BlackMamba14 thread starter macrumors regular

I had a Series 0 at launch but sold it after Watch OS 2 because of the lack of speed. Wish I would have had waited for Watch OS 3 to have better perspective since people seem to love the new OS.

Wondering whether the new OS would make enough of a difference for me. Have heard on a couple podcasts that the speed difference is not that much better with Series 2.

7. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

What specific speed things led you to return it? Was it one app in particular? Hey Siri? Occasional, seemingly random, slow launches? General slowness to load all apps? Etc. For me, most of the native app lagginess is way better with wOS 3. Hey Siri is much better. But, I do not use many 3rd party apps on my AW anymore.

8. BlackMamba14 thread starter macrumors regular

Didnt really use 3rd party apps after a couple weeks. Used primarily native apps, but found it so slow to get info on those apps. (Weather, Music, etc) By the time I got the app to stop spinning I could have just pulled out my phone.

But I did love the workout app and found that very useful. GPS would be a nice thing to have but def not necessary. My main thing is being able to see my notifications and info without having to wake up the screen multiple times from sleep.

9. yicaiweng macrumors member

yicaiweng

10. BlackMamba14 thread starter macrumors regular

The Original Apple Watch is Series 0. Since there is now Series 1 (New processor only) and Series 2

11. defboob macrumors member

I opted for the stainless steel space black 38mm, with link band First Gen (Series 0) when it's was dirt cheap from best buy ($350). I've got it updated w/ OS3 and it's really nice - i'm planning on selling the link band and using third party bands which makes this purchase even more of a deal. For my intended uses, the first gen does everything I want it to do.

12. BlackMamba14 thread starter macrumors regular

That was an awesome deal, I considered it but 38mm was too small for my wrist. What apps do you use?

Seems like 3rd party apps is where Series 2 would make a difference.

13. defboob macrumors member

I haven't tried any 3rd party apps just yet, getting notifications and using messages/SIRI the most right now. I'm sure i'll try more soon but i haven't found any must have's yet.

14. eXMomoj macrumors newbie

Originally bought a Series 2 42mm Stainless Steel for $599 as my first Apple Watch. After I played around with my coworker's 1st generation Apple Watch I went and returned my Series 2 and picked up a 1st Generation 42mm Stainless Steel for $300 from Best Buy. Have been very happy with it.

15. littleasian36 macrumors newbie

bought a series 0 SB SS 42 mm off craigslist as well as a series 2 SB SS 42 mm from bestbuy to compare. there is definitely an improved sens of speed with the S2 and the new screen is definitely brighter/easier to read, however my series 0 watch does 95% of what the S2 can do so i decided to return the S2 and wait for S3 to be released next year. i do miss the waterproofing as I swim at the gym but its not a deal breaker

16. pika2000 macrumors 68030

1. Is waterproof important?
    2. Do you need GPS?
    3. Are you going to use apps frequently?

If you answered yes to all, series 2
    If you answered yes to 1 and 3, series 1 (cheaper than 2)
    If you answer no to all, get series 0.
    I think the series 0 will be fine for notification purposes, but once you are dealing with apps, the speed improvements of the S1/2 will make the watch more usable.

17. tonoboon macrumors regular

tonoboon