Series 0 to Series 1?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BaddAdvice, Sep 16, 2016.

1. BaddAdvice macrumors member

BaddAdvice

I currently have a Space Grey Sport Series 0. I've been playing around with the idea of grabbing a Series 0 Gold Aluminum because, you know, I have nothing better to do with my time. I can get one of those at Best Buy for $219, but that particular BB is 50 miles away, and I'm lazy. Now the rub, my local BB has the Series 1 in Gold Aluminum for the regular price of $299. So, is spending $80 more to drive less and get an new color with an updated processor worth it? Hmmm..........

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Seems like a lot of work and money (since you won't get more than $100 for your used S0) for what's only a slightly faster processor, but as a S0 SS owner who didn't see the value in upgrading to a S2 SS watch, that's just me.

3. KrisLord macrumors 65816

I've only had it a few hours but I can tell the difference between series 0 and 1.

Apps haven't been updated to take account of watchOS 3 yet or the faster hardware but they're clearly loading faster than they were with the series 0.

4. BaddAdvice thread starter macrumors member

BaddAdvice

See, there you go, using logic and stuff! I actually plan on keeping the Series 0, so that's even more illogical. C'mon folks, talk me out of this!

5. BaddAdvice thread starter macrumors member

BaddAdvice

Good to know. I have seen a marked improvement on the S0 with watchOS 3. Even faster would be great!

6. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Apps won't be updated to "take advantage" of S1 or S2 improved processor. Apps will be updated to support WatchOS 3, for features such as complications or functionality WatchOS 3 added in.

Obviously the S1 is faster than the S0, the question becomes if it's worth the OP shelling out $299 for a new watch, since the resale on used watches is atrocious compared to used iPhones.

7. KrisLord macrumors 65816

I had the watchOS 3 beta and so I can kind of separate the benefit of the OS from the hardware easier than if I'd gone from watchOS 2 to this series 1 with watchOS 3.

Forget the drive for a moment if I had a choice of a series 0 for $219 or a 1 for $299 I'd suggest the 1. Then add in the 100 mile round trip + fuel and it's even more reason to get the series 1.

8. profets macrumors 68040

Been using watchOS 3 on my original Apple Watch all summer. Playing with a new Series 2 watch for a few hours right now, I'm amazed at how much fast it is. This isn't a subtle increase in speed, it's quite significant.

For $80 I'd definitely save the 100 mi trip and go for the Series 1 over the original. Although it's the S1P, the real difference from the S2 package is the GPS and possibly the GPU? Not sure on the GPU but the dual core CPU within the S1P and S2 should be the same.

9. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

It appears there are plenty of locations to obtain a Series 1, Apple Watch. Now, Series II on the other hand...

I'm still torn on which to purchase. I don't need GPS, and underwater stuff. However, I keep thinking about resale, hence my delay to purchase (well, actually go an collect one of my two choices)...

10. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    I considered going from the S0 to the S1 mainly because I wanted a 42mm watch. The processor was a bonus. I couldn't justify the additional $100 for a S2 for the battery (I would disable GPS since I don't run, nor swim).

11. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

A hesitation for me, is the weight difference between the Aluminium and the Stainless Steel. I like large, heavy watches, like Invicta...

12. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    The aluminum is definitely light :)

13. BaddAdvice, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

BaddAdvice thread starter macrumors member

BaddAdvice

Well, my willpower evaporated over the evening, so I pick up the S1 tomorrow. I guess I'll see first hand how much speedier it is than the S0. I'll provide an update tomorrow night!

14. QquegChristian macrumors 6502

I went from a Series 0 to Series 1 sport today. Best Buy gave me $125 for my old 38mm.

It is FAR faster than the original gen, even on OS3.

Kind of a no-brainer upgrade for something I wear and use every day. Under $150 to double the speed, get a fresh battery, and get a pristine replacement for my black sports band.

Also, no more sticking Digital Crown for at least a little while.

Hey Siri isn't torture now! Finally.

15. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Subscribed to this thread; awaiting the video review, etc. :)

16. satchmo macrumors 68000

I was looking at the two options as well (series 0 and 1).

It kind of sucks as I'm looking for a SS model and series 1 only comes in aluminium.
    Meanwhile, series 0 is available in SS, but lacks the ugraded processor.

17. KrisLord macrumors 65816

Buy the series 1 and a nice band :)

I've got the space grey series 1 with the leather loop (black) I bought last year.

I've never felt the aluminium models looked that much cheaper or less fashionable than the steel ones. Unless you're pairing the steel with a black link bracelet (which costs a fortune) the base spec is excellent.

The power of the series 1 and 2 is noticeable.

18. alecc131 macrumors regular

Do complications update more frequently and reliably?

Especially those requiring refreshed data--sports scores?

19. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

20. BaddAdvice thread starter macrumors member

BaddAdvice

OK, quick and dirty:
    1. Looks: Gold aluminum looks pretty good paired with the new cocoa SB that it came with as well as the midnight blue SB I had laying around. I think it looks surprisingly good with the black Milanese loop. And, it doesn't look too bad with the black SS link or the black woven nylon band. However, lighter colored bands like the new concrete SB and the pearl woven nylon don't look very good - they clash with the gold, at least to my eyes. To me, the cocoa SB looks the best. I may have to grab one of those toasted coffee/caramel woven nylon straps down the road to see how that looks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1. Speed: Haven't really noticed a discernible increase in speed. I've only been wearing it for a few hours, but nothing on the S1 has made me say, "wow, that's fast!" Maybe time will tell or I'll notice it more when I put the S0 back on? The touchscreen seems to be more responsive - I actually locked myself out of the watch for a minute while changing bands, inadvertently tapping incorrect passcodes while I fumbled with the bands.
    2. Packaging: As stated elsewhere, I believe, gone is the white, plastic watch box - replaced with a white, cardboard box. Not a huge deal, but different and a step down from the S0s. But, then again, the S1 is more inexpensive at launch than the S0.
    3. Charge out of the box: 100%
    That's all I can think of right now. Let me know if y'all have any questions.

21. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

Uhh, $100? Not even close. https://swappa.com/buy/apple-watch-sport

22. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Thanks for posting! How's the weight of the S1 versus the 1st Gen (S0)?

23. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

Thanks for posting the photos. Bought a Series 1 as my first Apple Watch, and I couldn't be happier. It does more than I expected.

I ordered a black Milanese loop for it, and I was happy to see that it looks better with the gold sport model than I expected.

24. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I was assuming he was going for the non-sport model. 42MM SS S2 retails for $600, looks like I'd be lucky to sell my Gen 1 for $300-$350. Not taking a $300 bath for a new CPU and no other real-world improvement for my usage.

The real problem is the SS watch doesn't hold value compared to sport. You could have bought a Gen 1 42MM Sport for $200-250 a few months ago, and sell it for virtually the same price on Swappa (maybe take a $50-100 loss). SS you will lose about $300.