Series 0 Wifi saved networks issue - WOS4

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by fischersd, Sep 21, 2017.

1. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

Wondering if anyone else has found this (re-pairing my watch at the moment...hoping there's a glitch in the software somewhere and not a hardware issue with my watch).

Series 0 42mm SBSS.

In testing whether the iPhone can actually disable Bluetooth or not (under Settings) I found the watch wasn't failing over to wifi when bluetooth isn't available to communicate with the iPhone. Restarting the devices, no change.

Watch also wasn't showing up in the client list on my wireless access point.

Wondering if anyone else has seen this behaviour since upgrading.

2. Knightcastle macrumors 6502

Knightcastle

3. fischersd thread starter macrumors 601

fischersd

You DO have a Series 0, right?

The re-pairing with restoring the backup didn't work. Doing it again from scratch (but not optimistic) - hasn't shown up in the WAP client list yet.

4. danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

Are you sure the Bluetooth is really off? Turning Bluetooth off using Control Centre in iOS 11 doesn't actually turn it off, just stops it being used. Apple devices will still say in contact with each other in this instance.

You need to go into Settings and turnoff Bluetooth there for the Bluetooth to turn off fully.

5. fischersd thread starter macrumors 601

fischersd

Yep...said that in Post #1, but thanks for the suggestion.

No dice - even setting it up like new, the wifi isn't getting enabled. Dammit. 3 months outside of my AC+. Craptastic!!!

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Apple is sometimes forgiving with issues on items just outside of warranty. I am hoping that is the case for my Series 0 that has a failed Mic.

I can’t report any WiFi issues, but, I had to erase mine once (and the phone) to get notifications flowing to my Series 0 during the beta time. But, I figured that was due to issues in Beta.

7. bradbomb macrumors 6502

bradbomb

Thing to check, is the WiFi network the watch trying to connect to 5 GHz? If so, Apple Watch (all models I believe) can only connect to 2.4GHz networks

8. Knightcastle macrumors 6502

Knightcastle

Yes
    Good suggestion

9. fischersd thread starter macrumors 601

fischersd

Ok, guys, just verified this on my buddy's S0 Sport watch. His does the exact same thing.

Turn off the Bluetooth (in Settings) on your iPhone. Wait at least 5 seconds. Does the Watch lose connectivity to the iPhone? If it does, then that's a BUG!!! (Apple Watch is supposed to use wifi when Bluetooth isn't available).

Maybe we have a series of Apple Watches that have wifi disabled (or maybe both of us are just unlucky) - but, I really distrust coincidence!!!

10. yashz macrumors regular

yashz

My series 0 on WatchOS 4 connects to wifi with no problem when I turn off Bluetooth at home.

[​IMG]

11. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Make sure your iPhone is registered on a 2.4Ghz network only. The wifi on Apple Watch can’t connect to a 5ghz network.

12. fischersd, Sep 21, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2017

fischersd thread starter macrumors 601

fischersd

Ok, think I have the resolution. There may be a problem with the saved networks. (so this fault may be on the iOS side). At least partially.

Nuked the saved networks on the iPhone. Re-created the home one. Turned off the bluetooth radio. It did still lose connectivity to the iPhone, but about 2 seconds later it enabled the wifi radio on the Apple Watch.

So, two problems (which I'll be reporting):

- there seems to be an error in translation in sending saved networks to the Apple Watch (not on every device, obviously).
    - the Apple Watch (at least Series 0) doesn't seem to be enabling the wifi radio before the bluetooth connection is lost (that's a bug - it was pre-emptive before).

13. bradbomb macrumors 6502

bradbomb

On my Series 2 and Series 0 previously with WatchOS 2 and WatchOS 3, my watch would always disconnect first and show the no phone icon before it would switch to the Cloud icon meaning it was on WiFi. It was never seamless for me.

14. fischersd thread starter macrumors 601

fischersd

Yeah, regarding that one, I think I need to do some more testing to be sure that it's changed (when you turn off the bluetooth on your phone, it really isn't a valid test - it doesn't give the watch enough time to react). In real world situations, you're moving out of bluetooth coverage, so the signal gets weaker, giving the watch ample opportunity to turn on wifi so connectivity isn't lost.

But, the saved networks, that's definitely a bug (with iOS 11 seemingly). Obviously, it's a "corner case", otherwise more people would be hitting this. Wonder why it would hit both my device as well as my friend's S0 sport.

15. fischersd thread starter macrumors 601

fischersd

Ok, verified. (had to lock my phone in a cement room at the far side of the house to get the bluetooth coverage low enough), but the watch enabled the wifi radio with the bluetooth still enabled (ie. as the signal got weak, it enabled it to maintain connectivity - as it should).

So, the only problem here is the saved wifi networks not working properly on Apple Watch (having to be deleted and re-created before they work).

The question is - what was the condition that caused this. (and how many people would be impacted).

Many people may not even notice this (as the bluetooth range on the phone is pretty far).

Edit: Fixed title of thread.