Series 1 and still happy

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rcdfox, Oct 26, 2018.

1. rcdfox macrumors newbie

rcdfox

Just curious about those who are using and still happy with their series 1? We bought ours when the 2 had just hit and we really never saw the need for more than what the 1 has. I was disappointed they did away with the 1, but with that said, I am certain there is much more the 4 does that is cool. At this point, I am fat and happy with the 1. How about you?

2. Closingracer macrumors 68040

If I hadn’t lost my series 2 last year I wouldn’t of gotten the series 4. Yeah I decided to spend more for the series 4 over a series 3 because at this point buying a new watch I rather have it last longer and the $130 (42 vs 44)or some odd more for the series 4 is worth it. The new features aren’t really something I must have but is nice it’s there

3. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

Series 1 actually hit at the same time as Series 2 did. They were both the second generation updates.

I had Series 1, and felt like it ran fine on WatchOS 5. I upgraded to Series 4 for the larger screen, but would have been fine with my Series 1 for another year I'm sure.

4. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Have a Series 0 as backup and put on the other day just to check. The display looks so punny now and hope I never need to use it.

5. rcdfox thread starter macrumors newbie

rcdfox

I did not know that. I was late to the party it seems. :)

6. Cowboy1629 macrumors 6502

Cowboy1629

I was happy with my S0 42mm SBSS until Apple quit updating it. Now with the bigger screen and new features they hooked me again.

Waiting on S4 SBSS 44mm to be delivered hopefully within the next week or two.

7. SnacksGU macrumors 6502

SnacksGU

I am happy with my Series 0. I wanted a S4 at first. Only interested in SS model. I am completely uninterested in paying for the LTE functionality. I want just a GPS. I am not talking about paying monthly for LTE. I am talking about the $100 extra for the LTR functionality on ALL SS.

8. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502a

staggerlee41

Like @tromboneaholic mentioned the screen is the reason I gained interest in Series 4. My Series 2 is plenty serviceable and seemed to operate just fine on OS 5, albeit a little bit slower with every Watch OS release, or maybe that was just my perception.

I then went and saw the Series 4 in person and that moved me to purchase. If you're happy with your current watch, that's awesome. Enjoy it as long as you can. And by all means DO NOT go look at Series 4:p

I have GPS only models of both and it has proven to fit my needs perfectly.

9. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Well, outside of heart rate functions the Series 4 doesn’t really do anything new. It was all about design. Hardware design and face design.

10. Pez555 macrumors 68020

Pez555

I’m still series 0. If it wasn’t for the redesign I would still be using it too. Saw no point upgrading to series 1,2 or 3.

11. harriska2 macrumors 6502a

harriska2

OS 5 has slowed my series 1 but not too horribly. Siri is completely unusable. I’m waiting (and not holding my breath) until the apple watch can completely replace a phone while connecting to an ipad. I hate carrying a phone.

12. Mapple86 macrumors 6502

I still have my Series 0 SS.
    Mostly using it for Notifications, apple pay and workout.
    Siri is too slow to be useable.
    Im thinking about getting the S4 SS.
    What I like:
    - Overall faster performance
    - faster Siri and maybe useable?
    - Homekit fast enough to use?
    - Siri answers with sound
    - Bigger screen
    - Cool new watchfaces

At the end, I think I could use my S0 as long as It doesn‘t start to smoke on my wrist and die.
    For the stuff I really use it every day, it would do nearly the same, what the S4 does.

13. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Usage of Siri is really where the new watches shine. Siri comes up quick and responds so much faster.

Although, the speed difference for Siri between Series 3 or 4 isn’t that great. So if you just wanted faster Siri but didn’t want to spend $500+ you could always get a used Series 3 for like $250.

14. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

If it’s any consolation, I haven’t bonded with my series 4 like I did my series one. No idea why.

I wear a traditional watch on the left and AW on the right always. Just an FYI.

15. psac macrumors 6502a

psac

I went into the Apple Store yesterday to look at the gold series 4 in person, and I'm glad I did. Yuck. I love my Series 1 gold aluminum with a black leather band (amazon cheapo), and it looks totally sharp. I read here that the S3/S4 gold was more of a pink/rose gold/no-it's-really-pink, and that's totally correct. The female salesperson had the gold with a black sports band, and it still looked really pink. Oh well. I'll stick with the S1 for a while then!

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

What size Series 4 did you opt for? Maybe it’s the size that you’re not used to with the larger display on your wrist? I see some members commenting that they’re not partial to the 30% larger display, which might be _to_ much on your wrist.

17. iSheep5S, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018

iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

I got the 40mm. I have had larger analogue watches. I’m always like this with new things. Maybe the more I pay the more I expect to get. Bar a larger screen and speed I don’t care much about I’m no better off for the money.

Scottish to the core. Every penny is a prisoner.

Edit, I have kept the face I have used since my first AW and that has fixed it for me. The infograph face didn’t do it for me and that’s what I used when I got it. Happy days.

Attached Files:

18. blaugrana69, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018

blaugrana69 macrumors regular

blaugrana69

Tempted by the Series 4, mainly for the bigger display and speed increments, but I’m going to keep my Series 1 until the battery deteriorates significantly, I can still comfortably get 2 days usage out of a full charge.
    May go second hand next time, probably Stainless Steel so it feels like more of a change. These things don’t keep their value do they ? There’s some real bargains to be had if you don’t mind buying used.
    I should add that the only Apple Watch I’ve ever bought was a Series 0 at launch in 2015. However that bricked during an update - Apple kindly sent me the Series 1 as a replacement even yhough I was way outside of warranty.