Series 1 distance accuracy

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bholt6, Nov 7, 2016.

1. bholt6 macrumors newbie

bholt6

I just moved over to iOS and decided to pick up an Apple Watch. I went with the Series 1 but I'm really debating whether I should return it to get the Series 2 since I don't carry my phone with me on runs. I don't really need to see a map of where I've ran and I don't swim, but I would like to have a fairly accurate account of the distance I've ran. Is the Series 1 accurate enough for this? Is there any other reason to snag the Series 2 instead? TIA!

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

You're going to want a series 2 if you're running without your phone.

Alternately keep the S1 and buy something like a refurb Garmin 610 or on-sale 920xt if you want "serious" capabilities for your running. I like my AW2 for running, but the current software (including NRC) is pretty basic in terms of functionality without a phone along.

3. bholt6 thread starter macrumors newbie

bholt6

I kind of figured. I calibrated my stride using my phone and watch tonight so I may test it out before the return period ends to see if it's very accurate without the phone. If it's within 1/10th of a mile or so that's close enough for me. I'm not a serious runner by any means.

4. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I have the AW S0 using WOS3 and the stride length calculation is very accurate. (finally!)

I reset my calibration data and ran with mine twice for 60 minutes each time about 5 weeks ago when WOS3 first came out. Since then, I have run more than a 15 times and the Watch has been very accurate for my entire 7 mile run (within 1/10th of a mile, total). I have had several days where it recorded the same distance as my Garmin Forerunner and others where it was off by a very small margin. The accuracy is related to your average pace, so the closer you run to your calibrated pace, the better it will perform. I upgraded to WOS3.1 two weeks ago and I did not have to recalibrate my Watch after the upgrade to maintain the same accuracy.

From my experience, you do not have to buy a Series 2 to get an accurate run distance *without* your phone, as long as you are using WOS3. If you do not care about the run maps, the swimming or the brighter screen, there is really no reason to return your Series 1.

TxWatch