Series 1 Siri keeps not working

MrMister111

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have a series 1, does mostly what I want really, as in notifications and basic workouts etc.

However it (would be!), handy if I could use Siri to ask stuff without getting my iPhone Xr of my pocket.

However I find that I intiate Siri but it either just says "hold on" or just fails to work. I don't think it's signal as I get out my iPhone and use that for Siri and just works. Trying to dictate a message is the same, sometimes it gets all the words but then just hangs and won't send.

What could it be? Is it just too slow now, and the old Apple stuff just doesn't work as good on newer WatchOS?

I'm up to date on all devices, battery life is still great for me tbh.

I like the look of the series 4 as has a lot extra over my 1, whereas I felt the 2 and 3 didn't. Such as bigger screen, thinner, waterproof, so should I j7st good be in and get a 4?

Thanks

Last edited:

harriska2

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
I have it and it’s just too slow. My son has the 4. After setting up and playing with the 4 my desire for it sort of dissipated. Like you I use it for notifications, workout, timer, and weather.

MrMister111

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
UK
I have it and it’s just too slow. My son has the 4. After setting up and playing with the 4 my desire for it sort of dissipated. Like you I use it for notifications, workout, timer, and weather.
Ah ok, so it's not that it shouldn't work, it just doesn't work as for whatever reason is now too slow for series 1, don't like that as it is a function that Apple should still have working on older series.

When you say you tried on yours son's 4, it worked ok, but you just didn't feel the need for it you mean? Or we you out off as it's frustrating on your older series?

If I upgrade to the 4 I want it to work again, I do on my series 1 but didn't look like will, which some people say is what Apple do..."force" you to upgrade...

harriska2

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
My 1 is perfectly functional. I feel siri is too much of a hit and miss - it depends on your cellular/wifi quality. So I just don’t depend on it. It is too easy to press a couple buttons on my watch than fight with siri either because she doesn’t understand me or cell service is slow. I didn’t bother testing siri on my son’s 4. Don’t get me wrong, it is an amazing watch - just not worth the upgrade price. All of us swapped the watch around to test the ekg - pretty cool. I’m hoping my 1 lasts a couple more years as I’m a bit of a cheap skate. I’m waiting on full lte without the requirement of an iphone - just ipad or mac. I really hate carrying a phone. It might be a while ...