Series 1 SS Sapphire - Needs Repair. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by thedoc46, Sep 26, 2017.

1. thedoc46 macrumors member

I have an original launch day Stainless Steel Sapphire Apple watch, which cost around $1000. Unfortunately the screen has started to detach itself from the casing, and i guess the battery was starting to go on its way out. Though it was swollen... Just purely co-incidental that both happened around the same time. Wondering if its worth bothering with the repair (whatever that cost may be) and just buying a Series 3 Sport instead, and making use of the waterproofing, and GPS.

I think i made the mistake of buying a higher end Apple watch and really should of just bought the Sport and looked at it as a disposable watch after 2-3 yrs. My thought process at the time was well, i'd spend at least a $1000 on a nice time piece such as an Omega or Tag, and i really wanted Sapphire as i know how easy it is to scratch a watch face without it. Except a nice timepiece lasts years upon yrs.. Whereas a smart watch depreciates fast and goes out of date even faster.

Truth be told, i wouldn't even mind leaving the Apple ecosystem, after jumping onboard in 2007... Very un-impressed with the iPhone X, ESPECIALLY the cost !!! and part of me wants to just get a nice time piece and buy an LG V30, when it comes out. I think Apple seems to be chasing the competition these days rather than making the innovation. I think Face ID will frustrate me, and i'd really miss Touch ID.... But i will really miss pinging my phone, as that's something i used a few times a day... And am struggling without it already.

Anyway that's another story.

I'm still on the fence about just getting another watch or repairing the fallen apart Series 1. But then i'll have to pay out for an X when it comes out, as my 7 is feeling very dated, and the 8 is a bit of an embarrassment, compared to the competition. But the X is a rip off.

2. Ffosse macrumors 68000

I got the S2 aluminium and simply regard it as a disposable device; so far, though it has held up really well.

I've also got an iPhone 7 which seems dated, but so does the new iPhone 8. I would never spend the kind of money on the X so will be hanging on to my 7 'til it breaks.

3. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

You say original launch day watch but then you say Series 1. The former implies you've had the watch since 2015, the latter implies 2016. There are 4 iterations of the Apple Watch - "S0" which is the first ever generation which launched in 2015, the S1 and S2 which launched last year, and the S3 which just launched this year.

If the battery is swelling and it's caused the screen to pop out, I believe it's covered under an extended warranty exception and will be repaired free of charge.

4. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

I agree with @ideal.dreams , you should repair it and most likely it will be covered under warranty. It's still a great watch nonetheless regardless of the your feelings on the Apple ecosystem and new phones...

5. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Actually there is no such thing as a Series 1 SS at all. Series 1 is only Aluminum.:eek:;)

6. thedoc46 thread starter macrumors member

OP here. Its a Series 0 as in when they first launched the Apple watch. I spoke to a very nice lady at Apple Care and she said lets get it back and it might be covered under warranty. So i may as well send it in... I asked if its not covered, how much for a battery replacement and she said it would be $250 on that particular watch :( but they wouldn't go ahead without my approval.. yikes $250 !!! Something to keep in mind if you're ever pondering on going with an SS or aluminum. Aluminum's seem to change the battery for less than $100. Even though the innards are the same. I guess the idea behind this, is if you can afford to spend $1000 over $400 for a new watch, then we'll charge you more when it comes to changing the battery.

If its going to be $250, then i won't bother... It'll of meant over $300 per yr depreciation for a SS Apple watch.. More, cos it didn't even make it 3 yrs.

7. co1f macrumors regular

As others have said here, it should be covered. My mom had the exact same problem, and Apple covered it. No AppleCare.