Series 1 vs Series 3

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by maxim2017, May 2, 2018.

1. maxim2017 macrumors newbie

Hi friends, please how big is the difference between Apple Watch Series 1 and Series 3? Does series 1 measure the activity of the heart same like series 3? Or series 3 is better? Generally is there big difference of them?

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Yes, there is a significant difference between both models.

Both measure the heart rate activity, but the Series 3 is more efficient. Also, the series 3 Apple Watch includes:

GPS, much brighter display, significantly faster dual core processor, 50 m water resistance, The battery life is much stronger with the Series 3, audible Siri, and of course you have the LTE option if you want it. Those are the core differences.

Essentially the Series one Apple Watch is much like the first generation Apple Watch only with an updated processor.

3. HDFan macrumors 65816

The series 1 was so slow that sometimes I questioned its usefulness. Series 3 is way faster. The only time I find its speed annoying is on startup and when doing software updates.

4. KrisLord macrumors 65816

The gap between the series 0 and series 1 is bigger than the gap between 1 and 3 if we’re talking performance eg navigating watchOS.

If I had a series 1 now I’d be waiting until series 4 unless there was a really good deal.

For reference I’ve had series 0, 1 and 3.

5. GRT89521 macrumors member

GRT89521

If you're serious looking at getting in at a cheaper price I'd recommend a refurbished 2 or refurbished 3 from Apples site. Good deals and full Apple warranty. You want GPS and the extra water resistance. Two of my Four Apple Watches I've bough refurbished.

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/apple_watch

6. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Active heart rate monitoring is the same on all watches. Passive monitoring is supported on Series 1 and 3 which means you can participate in Apple Heart Study. Otherwise, some features are a case-to-case basis of usefulness. Example: Water resistance upto 50 meters or LTE and GPS. If you can live without those features, Series 1 is adequate.

Battery-wise:

Unplug at 7/8AM:

S0 - up to 9PM light moderate use (mine)
    S1 - up to 12mn light moderate use (my sister's)
    S3 - 2 days with light use, 1 1/2 with moderate use (per members here)

7. bluecoast macrumors 6502a

I have a Series 1 which I got on EBay for not too much at all, to see if I’d like the Watch. I do!

I’ll wait to see what comes out this year. A change in form factor is likely to get me to upgrade.

My partner has a series 3 (without LTE) and she loves it. The screen is way brighter and it’s way faster.

On the other hand, I just use my watch as a watch and fitness tracker, so it suits me fine. I’ve not got any third party apps on it, although I think that would change if I left my phone at home with an LTE Watch.

Also I wish it were waterproof but I don’t swim, so it doesn’t matter too much.

So I’d say, think about what you want to use the watch for.

And of course, how you want it to look. Those in more corporate environments may want to get the steel version (as the default model does look casual).

And finally... how much you want to pay!

8. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

I convinced myself that I needed to get an s3 with LTE for all sorts of reasons; I could leave my phone at home, I could listen to Apple Music via my AirPods without my phone in between, it would be way faster at opening all the apps i would use...

Problem is, I rarely did any of those things. It got used for 2 things; notification management so I don’t have to spend all my time staring into my phone, and tracking my fitness with the workouts app.

Both of those things are exactly the same on both watches, so S3 is a total waste of time for my use case. As far as I’ve been able to find, and I did a lot of research before buying the S3, the heart rate sensor is exactly the same on both watches. They didn’t mention any specific advantages of the S3 sensor vs the previous ones in the keynote, just that the passive monitoring doesn’t support the Gen 1 (Series 0) watch.

Honestly, it boils down to this;

Do you find yourself WITHOUT your phone most of the day? If yes, then get S3. If No, the get S1.

There aren’t any apps on the watch that are compelling and effective enough to make the extra cost and extra performance worth it. I tried desperately to use all the apps I could on The watch, CARROT⁵ weather, fantastical 2, spark email and the list goes on, but ultimately they’re just brief windows into the iPhone app, and have a fraction of the functionality.

Unless you work in a field where you’re not allowed your phone with you and it won’t be nearby either, the S3 is way overkill for most uses.

9. LAHegarty macrumors regular

LAHegarty

I'm looking to buy one myself also, all I want it for is so I can quickly see my notifications, eBay, WhatsApp messages, see who's calling, that kind of stuff

What would be best for that?

10. maverick22 macrumors 6502

I'm considering the Series 1 at $150. I'm tired of my old Pebble not connecting correctly. I have to try so many tricks just to get it to connect with my phone.

I'll mainly use it for time obviously (not having to pull my large 8+ out of my pocket) and notifications (email, text, calls).

In what areas is the S1 slow? Lag and slow responses annoy me, but I don't know if I'll see much of it with the S1 watch as it will mainly be for notifications. I don't see myself using the actual apps on the watch to text or anything.

11. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

Also curious about this, that $150 is a killer deal currently going on.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You probably won’t notice much lag for notifications, its typically third party applications that you would notice the most issues with. Otherwise, it performs adequate for what its worth. For any thing stock related, you likely wouldn’t notice to much lag.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I had a Series 0 from launch to months after the Series 3 released. The only reason I decided to upgrade to Series 3 was 1) I wanted to hear Siri, 2) I thought I like the new face -- turns out it's a tad smaller than the Utility face I use so didn't really take to it, 3) I liked the new Sport Loop band, and 4) the big one -- I had an offer for 20% off so I bit.

What I can tell you about my Series 0, far less powerful than Series 1, was that it did HR, Activity, notifications, just as well as Series 3. Where Series 3 does a hands down better job is launching apps. But I don't really use the 3rd party apps other than Weather Underground's Storm and Delta Airlines. I can't say Series 3 does a better job with HR but then again, I don't use the AW for exercise. I use a Garmin for tracking my runs.

FWIW Series 1-3 are all eligible to participate in Apple's heart study, so I would guess the HR monitoring on these models is pretty close if not identical.

At this stage the Series 1 can be had for cheap. The Series 3 is starting to get discounted from time to time. Guessing Apple will push out a Series 4 this fall. So might be worth getting a Series 1 to quench your curiosity and the see what happens this fall. Series 1 resale can't fall that much from here while Series 3 can and will. I got $125 for my Series 0 last fall which I thought was damn good.

14. jjohnstonjr macrumors member

jjohnstonjr

I had a Series 3 and unfortunately it suffered an ill fate. I didn't want to spend the dough again to get it so I got the Series 1 for $180. I use it for running, steps, activity and message notifications. If I am being honest I really can't tell the noticeable difference between the Series 1 and Series 3. I am going to sit on this Series 1 until a new model is possibly announced this fall or if Apple discontinues the Series 1 this fall. Either the Series 1 is a good pick up.

15. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

you're unlikely to notice ay lag or slowness with the series 1, because the watch apps really arent that great and you probably won't use them. I wanted to use the watch on its own and tried so hard to make that a reality, but there are so few well-built apps that its just not worth the effort until apple opens the SDK up a bit for developers (maybe with watchOS 5).

The ONE thing that may be quicker on the S3 is the Scribble feature which lets you send a message by drawing the characters on the watch, but I can attest from experience that this is perfectly fine with the S1's processor (The S1 and S2 have the same chip, minus the GPS).

Ive actually sold my Series 3 Stainless Steel watch on now and have ordered a Series 1 instead. While the steel is beautiful, I'm not sure its worth the incredible premium over the aluminium given they do exactly the same thing functionally. Were the S3 considerably better than the cheapest current option in the Series 1, I may not have bothered, but I can get out of the S1 the same I got out of the S3 and save a few hundred quid in process.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You Are correct that the aluminum and stainless Apple Watch both perform the same watchOS and have the same internal specifications with the processor in the Series 3. But what you’re really purchasing with the stainless model, is the Sapphire display. That alone will protect the display from scratches or scuffs, which can be the worst part of looking at that a 42 mm or 38 mm display with a scratch right in the middle.

17. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

This is true, although its a double edged sword, as the steel gets majorly scuffed over the time you wear it. After owning the SS for 18 months it was in tatters, while the display was immaculate. In contrast, my aluminium watch was in great condition around the shell, but the screen obviously showed micro-abrasions like the phones do. I didn't see those abrasions to be a mitigating factor though, they were noticeable if you were looking for them, just like on iPhone.

18. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

19. pika2000 macrumors 601

I have the S2, which is basically the S1 with better water proofing.
    Major slowness that are annoying:
    1. Boot up time. This thing takes forever to boot.
    2. Updating the firmware. This also takes forever, up to an hour for a .x patch, which is quite ridiculous imo.
    3. Starting apps. Apps don't start instantly. There's usually a 5 to 10 seconds loading time.

Other than those, overall dealing with notifications and UI are quite smooth. I never try the S3 so I don't know how much better it is.

Imo if you are not running apps and you don't need water proofing, the S1 is a good deal to get into the smartwatch bandwagon.

20. apolloa macrumors G4

Have a S1and love it, more then fast enough for me, no problems at all, but I’ve never compared it to a S3.

Anyway just buy an S3 or wait for the S4, because no point buying an older model unless you want a bargain.

21. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

No, its not. [Its water resistance by the way.] Series 2 has a Twice the brightness, 50 M water resistant and GPS functionality.