Series 2-3 smaller bezels front?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tripleh3lix, Jun 10, 2018.

1. tripleh3lix, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2018

tripleh3lix macrumors 6502

tripleh3lix

Sorry I’ve always rolled with a series 0, and recently just got a Series 1 again. Thinking about upgrading or just taking the plunge and getting a 3 for battery and speed improvements.

I noticed in watching all these comparisons, does the Series 3 has less bezel going on vs the 1?

Attached Files:

2. Pupi macrumors regular

Pupi

3. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

The bezels are exactly the same through the first generation Apple Watch and through the Series 3. Sometimes images can be kind of deceiving.

4. tripleh3lix thread starter macrumors 6502

tripleh3lix

Really? I have the 3rd series watch, just came from Series 1. Maybe it was a gradual change over 2 and 3 but I definitely notice the difference. The bezels are most likely the same, but the glass is slightly more curved around the edges making it appear smaller.

Definitely quite a bit of a difference IMO. Check in person and compare the two if there's an apple store nearby. It's very subtle but honestly I really think it makes the watch pop a bit more... and honestly? Surprised no ones pointed it out.

5. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

The depth of the S0/S1 is 10.5mm and the S2/3 is 11.4. The 0.9mm is in the hight of the crystal. While I don't see an 'optical illusional' caused by this it must be what you are 'seeing'. As stated the OLED displays & bezels are the same.

FYI: I'm looking at my S0 and S3 together right now and don't see ANY difference is size.

6. tripleh3lix, Jun 12, 2018

tripleh3lix thread starter macrumors 6502

tripleh3lix

I’ve looked at my dads s0 as well and there’s a clear difference. I’m not talking about the display, I’m talking about the glass on the front curving slightly more and the bezels are ever so slightly smaller

7. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Reread my post. The crystal (glass or sapphire) is 0.9mm taller.

Crystal is a watch term that refers to the clear covering no mater what it is made of. Usually plastic, glass or sapphire.

8. tripleh3lix thread starter macrumors 6502

tripleh3lix

Sorry about that. That must be why it looks different to me. It is a thicker watch and I doubt there’s much bezel difference to be noted if at all, because it’s under a mm. I also notice these exact changes in person, mostly visible on the sport silver model. This is what I see and what I’m talking about.

Attached Files:

9. Julien, Jun 12, 2018

Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Again the bezel, case and display is exactly the same size. Here is the difference in a couple of pics.
    IMG_4841.jpg

IMG_4840.jpg

10. tripleh3lix, Jun 12, 2018

tripleh3lix

The glass being taller makes it appear slicker. Either way, I guess that’s the difference I’m seeing? My boyfriend also sees the differences. You can notice it looking at it from the front like the photos. Less of a gap between the glass and the bezel on the 3 vs the 0. Must be the only difference without changing in any size other than the 0.9 taller glass. Edit: or because it’s taller, it appears to be less of a gap when there really isn’t and the bigger glass just creates that illusion.

Also.. the 3 looks like a monster compared to the 0.

11. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

The photos you posted are of 2 different watch faces so you can NOT compare them. Here you go. As you can clearly see they are the SAME.

IMG_4848.jpg IMG_4849.jpg

12. tripleh3lix, Jun 12, 2018

tripleh3lix

Lets agree to disagree. I can clearly see the 3 is on the left (because I notice the thicker glass and see the difference).

Also I’m not here to argue. Thanks for clearing up there’s no difference to the bezel. I just see a difference between the two watches. Everything is subjective.

Attached Files:

13. nieks macrumors regular

nieks

That's the problem, it's not subjective, it is very objective! As stated by Julien:
    - The series 3 is thicker. 0.9mm.
    - The series 0, 1, 2 and 3 all have the same width and length.
    - The series 0, 1, 2 and 3 all have the same bezels.
    - They also sport the same size display and therefor the same size watchfaces.

In conclusion: the only difference is the thickness of the watch. In your last post, you circled the bottom of both watches. However, there is no difference to be seen, just a difference in how the light reflects on the watch cases and on the band.

The crystal and the case have been thickened, to spread the difference across the glass and metal:
    [​IMG]
    (source: TheVerge)

14. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Of course, some of you may remember all the original Apple Watch artwork and video from the very first reveal where the bezels were smaller and the display area was larger..... this was all changed when the display area shrank and the bezels increased before production.

Edit: Added link to one of the many articles at the time

http://pocketnow.com/2014/10/01/apple-watch-screen-size

15. tripleh3lix, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018

tripleh3lix

I’ve actually agreed with him, twice. You even said yourself “just a difference in how the light reflects on the watch cases and on the band.” I’ve said that the thicker glass does make it look different, 3 times and it’s just an illusion (clearly only by me and my boyfriend and whoever else I’ve shown, and no one in this thread). I never once said the screen was bigger, or meant to. In the beginning I said the glass on the front looked like it was covering the gaps between the bezel and the glass. Even though I’ve looked myself and they don’t.

And yeah, I circled the bottom because it does appear smaller. Light. No light. Stock photos, Juliens photos. That’s all I was pointing out and was complimenting it because it looks nicer (and I clearly saw that it looked smaller near the bottom ) and seeing if anyone else saw what I saw.

I’m not trying to argue, troll, piss anyone off, I just see differences. With how it’s proportioned, it just looks a bit different from series 0-1 (to me). And yes it’s subjective because I see something different, so does my partner because he’s also seen my fathers watch compared to mine. Light or not.. it looks different (to us). You spot the differences that I’m talking about. And yes from the side it’s the same, Julien stated that several times. I understand they’re the measurements. They’re the same 0-2. The 3 is thicker. I completely understand that. Never said I didn’t.

I’ve gone on about how the bezels on the front look smaller because the glass is raised in my recent previous posts. They clearly aren’t. It must look sleeker from the FRONT creating that illusion because the crystal is thicker over the screen. And imo it looks a tad nicer for whatever reason. That’s all I was getting at with this thread.

I said it was smaller cause it genuinely creates that “illusion” for me. I’m that ocd where I notice the little, tiniest of changes. Even if it’s not spec wise. Everyone here can argue about what they see compared to what I see, I just see different. Whether that’s the light, band in the way, color; watch face.. etc. I was just pointing it out. People can tell me I’m wrong all they’d like, it’s a forum and we’re allowed to express our opinions and observations.