Series 2 38mm Battery Life

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by leoskkang, Sep 29, 2016.

1. leoskkang macrumors member

leoskkang

I am using 38mm Series 2 as I feel like it is more like a watch (used to own S0 42mm) but I am concerned with its battery life after using it for about 3 days.

I managed to use it from 7am until 11pm with 12% of battery remaining.

What I have done with the watch as follows:

1. An hour of outdoor walking workout without an iPhone (GPS could have made battery drain quicker?)
    2. About 100 messenger notifications.
    3. Medium brightness, Wake screen=on, Haptic strength=medium, Heart rate sensor=on, Workout power saving mode=off, Reduce motion=on, Reduce transparency=on.

When I was using the watch for outdoor workout without an iPhone the battery drained from 56% down to 33%.

I am wondering whether this rate of battery drainage is normal or not. Some people say that they managed to use 38mm for upto 24hours so I am very confused. In this rate I think it would not be possible to use the watch for a day while doing a plenty amount (about 2hrs) of workout. As some argue that Apple heart rate sensor is inaccurate I am thinking of turning on workout power saving mode and turn off heart rate sensor.

Any advice on this would be appreciated :)

2. SwissGuy93 macrumors 6502

Well they say that you can have up to 5 hours of GPS tracking without an iPhone. How long was your walk? If it was about an hour I would say you are ok.
    And Apple said 18 hours of average use and you got 16 hours (with GPS tracking), so I think you are well on track with your apple watch battery life! :D
    And please don't forget that it takes some time for the lithium battery to get to full capacity (usually 10-15 days / cycles).

3. leoskkang thread starter macrumors member

leoskkang

Thanks for the reply.

Would battery capacity improve after 10-15 days of use?

4. recurrence macrumors member

Probably not unless your usage patterns change. There's no mechanism that kicks in after 15 days to improve battery life.

5. Phogro macrumors member

Phogro

I wouldn't expect any noticeable improvement. I think based on your description of usage you are getting about what you should for your watch. To get 24+ hours of life from it you'd have to limit usage, not use GPS, or reduce brightness etc. Best thing to do is to assume you'll get about 18 hours of life (as Apple claims) and charge your watch when you go to bed at night. Assuming you sleep at least 6 hours a day this shouldn't be an issue ;)

6. leoskkang thread starter macrumors member

leoskkang

Is there any way to disable GPS while doing workout without an iPhone?
    Another question, when the watch goes into power reserve mode at about 2-3% of battery remaining how long does the watch last?

7. leoskkang thread starter macrumors member

leoskkang

Is there any way to disable GPS while doing workout without an iPhone?
    Another question, when the watch goes into power reserve mode at about 2-3% of battery remaining how long does the watch last?

8. Phogro macrumors member

Phogro

You could try power save mode? I guess if you want to turn the GPS off why'd you opt for the series 2? I'm not sure how long power reserve mode lasts - I haven't had to use it yet.

9. leoskkang thread starter macrumors member

leoskkang

I did not know using GPS would consume this amount of battery and I am a regular swimmer so I went for S2.

10. Phogro macrumors member

Phogro

Too bad you didn't read anything before buying. The life you're getting is very consistent with what Apple has said from day one. Guess next time do a bit more research before buying. ;)

11. rishiomedia macrumors member

I have a 38mm S2 as well. Disable GPS by putting your watch in Airplane mode when the iPhone is not near. I disabled the heart rate sensor and minimized background app refreshes. My screen brightness is on the lowest, which is still brighter than I need. I have my screen set to auto on - not sure how much this reduces battery life. I could actually see it saving battery life because it also detects when the watch is NOT facing your eyes and it turns off the screen so you might want to leave that feature on.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2016 ---
    I have the Series 2 and don't care about the GPS. It's useless for me. I bought the Series 2 for the bigger battery. When used as a Series 2 can be used, it will last way longer. In fact, bigger battery is the #1 reason I bought the series 2 over the series 2. Turning off GPS is as simple as putting the watch in Airplane mode when you do a running workout without the phone nearby.

12. leoskkang thread starter macrumors member

leoskkang

What is the average battery life of your S2? How long does it last?

13. Phogro macrumors member

Phogro

Seems like a waste to gimp the watch's features in favor of a few extra hours of battery life. To each their own.

14. leenak macrumors 68020

That is one reason I went for 42mm this time around. I've noticed about 40% battery life at the end of the day (6am or so until 11pm or so)

15. rishiomedia macrumors member

I'm not sure yet - I'll need more time with the Watch..