Series 2 aluminium as a first Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by p1rate chris, Oct 7, 2016.

1. p1rate chris, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016

p1rate chris macrumors newbie

As my birthday is coming up I am thinking of taking the plunge and buying an Apple Watch. I of course don't need one, but as I own an iPhone 6 plus I can see the advantages of looking at my wrist for notifications rather than pulling out my iPhone.

It is all of course subjective, but do the enhancements of the series 2 compared to the series 1/0 make it a worthwhile purchase? Are there any people out there that, with hindsight, think they should have waited for the series 3/4? Conversely, is there anybody out there who is in love with their series 2?!

I am currently leaning towards the 38mm (I have 165mm wrists) series 2 silver aluminum as this seems a pretty good all-rounder when it comes to bands. While stainless steel and sapphire would be nice I am not sure it is is really worth the 250€ price difference here in Germany.

2. Hedberg, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016

Hedberg macrumors member

I got my Series 2 Aluminium two weeks ago, and I'm loving it so far! The thing you need to consider is, if you are going to use the new features of the Series 2 or not. If you're not a runner or a swimmer who's going to use the new GPS functions, you might as well go with a Series 1, which has the same core but not the GPS, and save yourself some money. I can't say anything about the Series 0, since this is my first smartwatch. And yea, I agree with you about the band swapping, in my opinion aluminium goes well with a lot of different bands. I bought a leather band and a milanese loop to swap between when not running :)
    IMG_0255.JPG

3. p1rate chris thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks good! Is your Apple Watch a 38mm or 42mm? I just printed out the sizes for comparison and I think I actually prefer how the 42mm looks on my wrist. You make a good point regarding the extra features of the Series 2 compared to the Series 1. While I'm not doing a huge amount of running at the moment, I do mean to get back into it and so wouldn't mind too much about the 100€ difference.

4. Hedberg macrumors member

Mine is the 42 mm :) Then definetly go for the Series 2, if you are going to run again. Having the device only motivates you even more! That's at least my experience.

5. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

I skipped the first Apple Watch, just didn't impress me and the screen was dimmer and harder for older eyes. I jumped on the series 2 and love it. Got my wife one when she wasn't really excited about spending the money but she loves hers and it's the first thing she and I both put on in the mornings. We both do trail running and biking so love the GPS in it.

6. rnangie macrumors newbie

series 2 gold aluminum here. I love it much more than I was expecting. I like to run and the GPS function is awesome