Series 2 glass thickness

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by beerglass007, Sep 21, 2016.

1. beerglass007 macrumors 6502

I currently have the first gen watch and purchased the new series 2 last night

It just feels totally different, weight and worse the height and thickness of the glass

The glass is higher off the beezel and feels like it would get damaged

2. profets macrumors 68040

I definitely noticed the increased weight for the first day or so. That's likely from being very used to something specific being on my wrist for 16 months. The thickness has bothered me a bit with the sport and nylon bands I use as it's gotten tighter against the top of my wrist, even painful at times.

Took this pic the day I received it to see the difference. Looks like you're right about the glass being thicker, didn't notice that at first. Though just because it's slightly higher I don't think it means it'll get damaged. I knocked my original watch many many times accidentally.

[​IMG]

3. JayLenochiniMac, Sep 21, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The display is actually thinner but they've made the overall case thicker to make room for GPS, bigger battery and other stuff added to the innards.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

WOW, the crystal does look a LOT taller even though the display assembly is a thiner. That is almost an oxymoron.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Looks like they made the crystal and body thicker rather than have the body take all the height increase so it'd still look proportional.

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I think I would have preferred the case to be taller and less crystal exposure. I'm sure your correct about the proportions but that is some tall and exposed crystal, especially knowing how tall the S0 crystal is. I catch and bang my S0 on a enough things already.

Also my plan (since I'm NOT excited about the S2) is to upgrade next year on sale. However profets post about the bands fitting tighter gives me pause too. Seems like the more I read, hear and think about the S2 the LESS I want it. Battery is about the ONLY thing attracting me.

7. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Very interesting. I've seen a bunch of threads complaining about the band tightness as compared to S0. I wonder if Apple will release bands with the holes moved slightly to account for the difference.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Well, the grooves where the bands insert sit higher too so if you're using the same hole it'll fit tighter. Maybe loosen a notch?

9. profets macrumors 68040

It's funny, until I read this thread I didn't even notice the crystal being taller. Went back to look at the picture I took and then realized it.

The tightness thing gets me just specifically on sport and nylon bands when I wear them on the snug fitting that I did with my original watch. It was a perfectly snug fit that prevented the watch from moving and kept the HR readings consistent without it being uncomfortable. But the slight increase in thickness makes it just too tight now.

However, after using the S2 for swimming & GPS, and much more importantly experiencing the speed increase, I can't go back. I was originally thinking of maybe picking up an aluminum S2 for workouts and keep the SS for dressing up, but I can't go back to a slower watch now, lol. Hands down the biggest improvement is the speed. Although, I'm now able to go a full day without having to top up the battery after a workout in the morning. However, one could get that improvement from the S1 if swimming & GPS aren't important to them.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2016 ---
    That's exactly the issue. For the sport bands, going 1 notch looser gives a very comfortable fit, but not tight enough for workouts. For the nylon bands, going one notch more results in a definite looser fit, almost too much movement with the watch. The sport band is ok as it grips the skin a bit more on the looser fit where the nylon slides much easier.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I bet it's not an even notch and I'm a little OCD and have mine down to science (take up one for cardio and just right). I might just hold off a little longer since my S0 does what the S2 does (I always carry my iPhone and don't swim enough for the Workout app) sans speed and battery. I'm just cutting close on the battery and I know it is about time to start getting shorter cycles. At least I do have :apple:Care until May.

11. profets macrumors 68040

You just reminded me - now I get 0 steps when swimming :( lol

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Sitting on my but and before 11:30AM. Hell being so lazy.:eek:

[​IMG]

13. profets macrumors 68040

Lol wait, 14K steps is lazy?

14. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

There was no reason to increase the battery, i finish my day with 70%+ left

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I guess you don't know Julien very well.

16. profets macrumors 68040

Maybe to compensate for the GPS and increased screen brightness?

With a workout in the morning I finish my day at 15%.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2016 ---
    Lol.

17. beerglass007 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've sent the watch back....didnt feel as nice as S0

18. profets macrumors 68040

As much as I love the speed, GPS and improved water-proofing, I have to agree, doesn't feel as nice as the Original.

19. beerglass007 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah just doesn't feel right. I'll hold off for next S3 in 2 years time i guess

The new iPhone 7 is worth spending money on rather than watch at this moment in time

20. profets macrumors 68040

I wonder what they'll do next year. Or if they take longer than a year to update it. Hmm, I think if cellular comes then they'll need the battery and probably still be separated in 2 Series. Thin one and thicker one that has GPS+Cellular.

I'm going to stick with the S2. Weight is a slight annoyance, but I can't give up the speed or swimming now. Been waiting so long for it.

21. scriptkitten macrumors regular

scriptkitten

I just put mine on. i've upgraded to the 42 SS from the 42 SG Sport.

My first impressions are that its fast and the screen is definitely sharper.

However, its heavy. I have to see if I can get used to it... especially since I work out at least 1x a day. Also, the increased bulk makes for a significant gap between the sport strap and my actual wrist at the top edge of the watch. yeah, i'm thin and this might be fixed with a 38mm watch but i don't want a 38.

It's pretty tho!

22. daviedave macrumors member

daviedave

same for me, ss is so much heavier. i bought myself a woven nylon and it makes the watch feel a little bit lighter :) However you will get used to the increased weight. Plus a heavier watch feels more premium i think.

23. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Can't speak to the S2 (yet) but I went from an aluminum S0 to a SS S0 and after a couple days I didn't notice or mind the added weight anymore.

Hope to get a SS S2, perhaps Hermes, soon.

24. scriptkitten macrumors regular

scriptkitten

its been a few hours and i think i'm used to it :)

everything about it just feels smoother!

25. daviedave macrumors member

daviedave

i think the watch feels not bulky at all guys. look at other watch brands like festina or rolex. big, huge and heavy watches...