Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
This has been driving me nuts for awhile now. My series 2 used to be pretty much spot on when I got it with measuring runs. But ever since I updated it to watch os 4 it has been giving me a little bit more distance on runs and with each update it seems to have gotten a little bit worse. I’ve already repaired and set up as new and reset all the calibration data. Same thing. It starts out pretty close to right but the farther I run the more off it is and gives me more distance. For example today I went for a 10.06 mile run and the watch shows 10.36. I know the first mileage is correct because I’ve been running the same routes for 10 years and when I have the phone with me it shows the correct mileage but if I’m running with just the watch it’s always trying to give me more than it should. It all started after my update to watch os 4. Anybody else having accuracy issues with their series 2 on watch os 4??

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
This has been driving me nuts for awhile now. My series 2 used to be pretty much spot on when I got it with measuring runs. But ever since I updated it to watch os 4 it has been giving me a little bit more distance on runs and with each update it seems to have gotten a little bit worse. I’ve already repaired and set up as new and reset all the calibration data. Same thing. It starts out pretty close to right but the farther I run the more off it is and gives me more distance. For example today I went for a 10.06 mile run and the watch shows 10.36. I know the first mileage is correct because I’ve been running the same routes for 10 years and when I have the phone with me it shows the correct mileage but if I’m running with just the watch it’s always trying to give me more than it should. It all started after my update to watch os 4. Anybody else having accuracy issues with their series 2 on watch os 4??
I'm on 4.2.2 and have had no problems recently. But I always run with my iPhone in my pocket.

Perhaps a setting got changed on you somewhere along the line. I had really bad GPS issues last November. The generated maps were fine, but the mileage was reading 15% more.

I did two things, after which the problem was gone. But I don't know which was teh solution.

1. unpair, then re-pair the AW.

2a. Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Motion Calibration & Distance > make sure this is on
2b. Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness > Fitness Tracking > make sure this is on

After I did this, the mileage was spot on. If I had to do this over again, I'd start with #2.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
I'm on 4.2.2 and have had no problems recently. But I always run with my iPhone in my pocket.

Perhaps a setting got changed on you somewhere along the line. I had really bad GPS issues last November. The generated maps were fine, but the mileage was reading 15% more.

I did two things, after which the problem was gone. But I don't know which was teh solution.

1. unpair, then re-pair the AW.

2a. Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Motion Calibration & Distance > make sure this is on
2b. Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness > Fitness Tracking > make sure this is on

After I did this, the mileage was spot on. If I had to do this over again, I'd start with #2.
No settings have changed. Funny you mention November. I was just looking through my activity for 2017 and some of my runs that I took with my watch when it was still on watch os 3. I had like 3 runs that were the same route that read 8.25 Miles. All spot on with the watch only. Yeah things started changing once I hit watch os 4. Not sure why. I do have all those settings on.

You should try taking just your watch for a run and compare it to the distance you get with your phone. You may be surprised....

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
No settings have changed. Funny you mention November. I was just looking through my activity for 2017 and some of my runs that I took with my watch when it was still on watch os 3. I had like 3 runs that were the same route that read 8.25 Miles. All spot on with the watch only. Yeah things started changing once I hit watch os 4. Not sure why. I do have all those settings on.

You should try taking just your watch for a run and compare it to the distance you get with your phone. You may be surprised....
I don't like running without my iPhone with me. Otherwise, how can I post a mid-run selfie on Instagram? I'm a fashion model influencer during my spare time after I leave the Fire Station ... nah just kidding. I like having the iPhone because I like to use the GPS so as not to drain AW's battery.

Anyway, I do, occasionally, track my semi-daily walk without my iPhone. Distances with and without the iPhone are generally equivalent. At least within the margin of error for consumer GPS devices.

Reactions: imagineadam

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
I don't like running without my iPhone with me. Otherwise, how can I post a mid-run selfie on Instagram? I'm a fashion model influencer during my spare time after I leave the Fire Station ... nah just kidding. I like having the iPhone because I like to use the GPS so as not to drain AW's battery.

Anyway, I do, occasionally, track my semi-daily walk without my iPhone. Distances with and without the iPhone are generally equivalent. At least within the margin of error for consumer GPS devices.
I run with my phone on long runs for safety and plus I can use Spotify. It’s just annoying that it used to work perfectly and now things are just wrong. I’m really hoping watch os 5 fixes my problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.