Series 2 GPS

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Metz77, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Metz77 macrumors newbie

How will the gps tracking work without being connected to the iphone.... With no data connection I don't see how it will track real time unless maps have already been downloaded on the watch? Or is just storing the gps data until connected back to iphone, meaning no real time map tracking?

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

It is GPS point (coordinates) recording. Same way GPS watches have worked for over a decade.

3. Metz77 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

Probably not in the Workout app. They did demo a 3ed party hiking app that has maps but they are of course pre downloaded and preset hiking trails.

5. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502

DocMultimedia

Yeah, I'd agree. Apple said they'll give 3rd party access to the GPS, so I'm guessing some apps will let you download the maps to the watch. It would be nice if Runtastic or other running apps would integrate features like that.

6. iAdamator macrumors 6502

I passed on the first watch, waiting for the second edition and now that it has been announced, I'm starting to be tempted by series 1 with the lower price point.

Forgive me for asking, but what is the big deal with the GPS being in the watch? If you get a series 1, can it use the GPS in your phone and have the same results as just using a series 2? My phone is always with me, so if the watch can simply use the GPS in my phone the same as having a built in GPS... then the series 1 is really tempting to me.

Thank you!

7. thequietaussie macrumors newbie

The deal is that you can leave your phone at home if you're going out running, as you don't need to have the phone to track anything.

But if that's not a problem for you, then the only other thing you'd be missing out on is the waterproofing on the series 2.

8. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

Yes to me gps is pointless. It would of been better with a cell connectivity. If you always have your phone on you a gps watch seems rather pointless. Unless you want semi more accurate information but in the whole scheme of things it doesnt matter

9. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I think that GPS is aimed almost solely at the fitness device market. Activity trackers really do not need GPS, and very few activity trackers on the market have it. Maybe Apple could introduce wrist-based navigation at some point, but that would be a pretty big OS enhancement to sync the map data.

10. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

GPS is definitely aimed at the fitness market, which is the main growth segment for wearables right now, and Apple was largely locked out of those sales by requiring the phone for tracking.