Series 2 HELP!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by leoskkang, Sep 29, 2016.

1. leoskkang macrumors member

leoskkang

Got three questions.

1. When you use the watch in water do you need to lock it first or you can just jump into water/shower without doing anything?

2. When the watch goes into power reserve mode at about 3-4% of battery remaining how long does it last?

3. Is it possible to disable GPS on series 2?

2. Tony_YYZ macrumors member

1. You don't have to but the water might start acting as touches on the screen and accidentally execute functions. Also, the only way to eject the water from the speaker is to turn on/off the water lock mode.

2. I don't know, but it should tell you in the Watch app on your phone under General/Usage

3. GPS is never on unless you have a workout activity such as Outdoor Run activated and your iPhone is not connected.

3. leoskkang thread starter macrumors member

leoskkang

So when you go into shower with the watch it is better to go into water lock mode?

I have been running with the watch without an iPhone and it seemed that the battery drainage rate is really quick. An hour of running spent about 30% of battery on 38mm series 2. So I am wondering whether disable either heart rate sensor or gps would increase battery life while using workout app?

4. Tony_YYZ macrumors member

The water lock mode is really for fully submerging the watch. It turns off the touch screen and ejects water from the speaker. With showering, you probably wouldn't need to do that, it depends on your shower really. I personally never shower with it on so I can't speak to it.

You can't manually disable the GPS if I recall correctly. You can disable the HRM though. You have a 38mm so the battery is smaller I believe.

5. Julien, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The only purpose (other than a great show) is to clear the speaker of water. If not used from time to time you may have a slightly muffled speaker for 5 to 15 minutes after water exposure. Been using/exposing my S0 in water daily since launch day and I rarely ever run into using the speaker right after AND it being muffled. Probably has only happened 3 or 4 times.

Also IMO power reserve is worthless and only needed if you are 'lost', your iPhone is dead and you can't charge your :apple:Watch. All it does it tell you the time. BIG DEAL, just cut it off until you can charge it. Also you should NOT have any battery problem unless you are using the Workout app a couple of hours using GPS for 1 or more hours.

6. leoskkang thread starter macrumors member

leoskkang

Would disabling HRM make a significant change?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2016 ---
    I run for an hour and swim for an hour everyday. When I run, I do not take my iPhone with me so that could be why I am having massive battery drain?

So at this stage of development of Apple watch, you can't use the watch for up to 20 hours while using workout app + GPS for upto 2hrs?

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

So you are active 20 hours a day every day and your :apple:Watch battery is going dead every day too? How do you deal with your iPhone battery on your schedule and how do you function off of less than 4 hours sleep a night?:eek:

8. gppittjk macrumors regular

Simply put, no. GPS is a massive battery drain - see how much your iPhone loses if you don't charge it while getting directions for 2 hours, even with the screen off. Per apple's specs, you should be able to use the GPS for about 5 hours from 100% battery, so you're looking at about 19% per hour battery drain (before the watch automatically goes into power reserve). So 2 hours of use will leave you at about 62%. That's unlikely to get you through the other 18 hours of your day.

Now, all of this being said, a 10 minute charge will give you anywhere from 12-15% of juice. So a strategically timed quick charge or two will easily get you through your day.

9. rishiomedia macrumors member

I disabled my Heart Rate Sensor. It wastes a lot of battery in apps like breathe, where it runs the entire time. I have no use for it anyway.

10. leoskkang thread starter macrumors member

leoskkang

LOL. No, that's what I am expecting in near future.
    Guess I have to charge twice if I want to workout without an iPhone at this stage. Is there any way to disable GPS manually? Some say airplane mode disables GPS. Is it true?
    I am thinking of doing that as well. Just curious whether HRM is as accurate as medical HRM.