Series 2 in dusty environments

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ManicMarc, Sep 24, 2016.

1. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

Since the Series 2 is waterproof, does this mean that it will be dust proof too?
    I'm thinking of wearing it while climbing, and we use chalk to get a better grip. So my watch hand will be going in and out of a dusty chalk bag quite frequently.

2. Vihzel macrumors 6502

No one truly knows how dust resistant the watch is because Apple has not obtained an official rating for it. The Apple Watch is rated IPX8 with the X signifying that it does not have an official rating for dust resistance while the 8 designates the level of water resistance. The only thing that Apple has really mentioned is to not expose the watch to large amounts of dust, which I'm certain would include the chalk.

To be on the safe side, I would not use it anywhere around the chalk as I'm sure they can get into the holes.

3. ManicMarc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the great reply. It seems it's not dust resistant then. Shame but we can't have everything

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Actually the S2 is ATM5 rated and the S0 & S1 are IPx7 rated.

I would not be too concerned about ingress (water or dust) and would just be sure to wash completely to remove from speaker/mic/[unused]barometer (S2) holes. I have never thought twice (or even once) about wearing my S0 in all kinds of rough environments since launch day. I just wash it (almost) daily and it works just like it's Apr 25, 2015 (actually better since wOS 3:D).

5. sohanangal macrumors member

I work in the construction industry and spend time on construction projects amidst cement, dust, etc. for 2-3 hours/day. I am hoping to get through that without any issues. I am just a project manager and don't actually work with cement or other dusty products.