Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

bricktop_at

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2017
So I got myself a Series 2 SS on Milanese Loop during the easter weekend, to accompany my S6 SSG. Good deal to be honest, couldn‘t pass it up and the Milanese will hit the market as I hate that type of bracelet since I can remember ;-)

Paired without any issues, works fine as far as I can see.

From your experience, is there anything to pay attention to, as the OS is no longer being updated on older watches than the S3?
How is automatic watch switching working?
Anything else that I might not be aware of?

Cheers,
Oliver

Reactions: 1CaesaR1

bricktop_at

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2017
1617697991991.png
Looks quite nice, given its age, if you ask me. Nothing a bit of Cape Cod wouldn't fix I'd say... and it doesn't need to be perfect as "backup" watch (that I quite enjoy wearing tbh) :p

Comment

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky
I kept my original S2 aluminum when I upgraded to the S4. I still use it, but only primarily for sleep tracking with the AutoSleep app. I have also noticed a lot of WATCH app developers have moved on to the S3 and newer. But the stock apps still function and get the job done most of the time.

As mentioned above, it is slow but usable if you have the patience.

Reactions: bricktop_at
Comment

Killbynumbers

macrumors regular
May 29, 2019
That year, I bought three, one Nike +, one rose gold and none Ceramic Edition. I can't believe that I paid that much for the ceramic and only wore it for about 1.5 years. I'd probably lose my patience if I turned it on today and saw how slow it was. Today, I'm still wearing my Series 4 and will maybe buy next years watch.

Comment

bricktop_at

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2017
I'd probably lose my patience if I turned it on today and saw how slow it was.
Yup, it really is slow... that's for sure. What I have noticed though is, that as soon as it's booted up and settled in, most of the things that are relevant for me (notifications, HR measurements, the health stuff in general and of course Mickey Mouse telling the time :p ) works pretty OK. The only Apps installed are Microsoft Authenticator and AutoSleep, so not much to do for the watch in this area.

It also seems that the automatic switching back and forth between the S6 and the S2 is behaving nicely... that was one thing I wasn't sure about.
Definitely wouldn't want it as main watch, but so far it seems like a totally fine and nice looking backup :)

Reactions: Killbynumbers
Comment

Killbynumbers

macrumors regular
May 29, 2019
Yup, it really is slow... that's for sure. What I have noticed though is, that as soon as it's booted up and settled in, most of the things that are relevant for me (notifications, HR measurements, the health stuff in general and of course Mickey Mouse telling the time :p ) works pretty OK. The only Apps installed are Microsoft Authenticator and AutoSleep, so not much to do for the watch in this area.

It also seems that the automatic switching back and forth between the S6 and the S2 is behaving nicely... that was one thing I wasn't sure about.
Definitely wouldn't want it as main watch, but so far it seems like a totally fine and nice looking backup :)
Does the watch pair with iOS 14?

Comment

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky
I debated whether to replace my sleep-tracking aluminum S2 with my S4 SS when I upgraded to the S5 SS, but I of course got a lot more money for the S4 and having a lighter watch to sleep in would be (IMO) more comfortable. That was a year ago and I still remain pleasantly surprised at just how capable the S2 is.

I've also never had issues with running the latest iOS or automatic watch switching. *knock-on-wood*

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.