Series 2 SS scratched sensors?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by tehnewb, Sep 16, 2016.

1. tehnewb macrumors newbie

I got the space black series 2 SS with milanese loop and have been enjoying it all day.

However, as I took it off, I noticed some rather bad scratching already on the sensors on the back! To me it looks like where the band might have just brushed past it, but perhaps it was like it from the factory.

Does anyone else have this issue (probably applies to the first watch too)

2. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

3. tehnewb thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a bit difficult trying to take a photo of something so shiny, but you might be able to see the scratches between the top and bottom sensor there.

[​IMG]

4. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yep< I see them. Honestly, don't live with it. Too nice a product.

Did you order online or in the store? If online, just make sure to open a return before your 2 weeks is up and if in store, make sure to get to the store before your 2 weeks is up. Even if no other stock, just wait until you can get one or place a new order now to get the process started. Good luck!
    Sometimes Apple products have more cosmetic flaws right at release and get better over the coming months.

It's a shame. The watches aren't even sold in such massive numbers, you'd think they could ensure they were flawless.

5. tehnewb thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I am thinking of returning it, but I don't really fancy waiting 5 weeks for a new one. Probably going to contact apple this afternoon, perhaps they will swap it out for me.

I do have the feeling though that it's the band that has caused it - once or twice it seems to have been magnetically attracted to the back of the watch! Bit unsure as I only really looked at the back of it after I took it off yesterday evening.

6. herb666 macrumors newbie

I had exactly the same scratches on my Space Black with link band, and my band never touch the back!

The scratches must be from the factory.

7. tehnewb thread starter macrumors newbie

Strange! Yeah I must say I would be surprised at the scratched appearing in less than 12 hours... left it too late to contact today, but will speak to them tomorrow and see what they say.

8. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The band has been know to scratch the back.

9. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

I thought the Stainless watch had a sapphire cover over the sensors... I've got the Aluminum Watch 0 - and the sensor has dulled with all the rubbing on my wrist for the last year.

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Unless you want a warranty replacement that won't match your original box serial number (too early to go that route in my opinion), I'd just get another order in and keep yours until the 2 week window is nearly up.

11. tehnewb thread starter macrumors newbie

I contacted Apple and they are calling me on Monday to discuss it. I'm not fussed about a warranty replacement, in the first few weeks the warranty replacement devices tend to just be brand new devices anyway - for the past two years I've had my iPhones swapped within a week (both with screen issues!). If it's not something caused by the band then I would rather get it sorted now. Regardless, I'll be getting AppleCare+ for it in the next few weeks like I did with my previous watch.

12. ManNBlack macrumors member

I have seen complaints that the band can scratch EVEN THE SAPPHIRE lens on Apple's site:

BE CAREFUL! SPACE BLACK MILANESE LOOP SCRATCHES SAPPHIRE SCREEN AND SENSORS
    So I was excited to see an official Space Black Milanese Loop, and I bought it the day that it was released. I have been using it for about two weeks, and today when I went to clean my watch, I noticed that the sapphire screen and sensors are covered in scratches consistent with the band touching them! The DLC coating on the loop is apparently hard enough to destroy the watch, simply by taking it off and placing it down on a table. I am out of the country for another month or so, and my watch is still under the one year warranty. I am hoping that Apple will replace it for me once I get home, because it was completely spotless before I started using this band, and Apple did not post any warnings about the band scratching the watch. SUMMARY: DO NOT LET YOUR SPACE BLACK MILANESE LOOP COME INTO CONTACT WITH THE SCREEN OR SENSORS ON YOUR APPLE WATCH BECAUSE THEY WILL GET SCRATCHED!

• Written by John K from HARTSDALE
    • Apr 5, 2016
    54 of 62 people found this useful

Just cancelled my order and switching to another band.

13. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Yeah, I can confirm this. I'm returning the Space Black Milanese Loop (1st-gen) model I just got because it's scratched the hell out of the back and even the sapphire front.

I was really shocked and disappointed.