Series 2 to series 4?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by macdaddy1991, Nov 4, 2018.

1. macdaddy1991 macrumors regular

has anyone done this upgrade? How do you find it/do you think it’s worth it? I upgraded to the XS Max this year and was planning to upgrade my watch next year but after having bought the new iPad Pro as well Im sort of in the mind set as “might as well”.

Just wondering if realistically it’s worth it. I pretty much only really use it for notifications. What benefits do the series 4 watches bring over the series 2?

2. winterny macrumors 6502

I did Series 2 -> Series 4.

It is a *huge* upgrade. Way faster. Way bigger screen. Way nicer fit and finish. LTE has been very useful for me (I have been going on long walks while using airpods for phone calls or streaming music from my large collection of music in iTunes Match -- greatly increasing my activity).

3. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502

staggerlee41

I did and have no regrets. Screen size, speed and improved internals has been worth it, almost for those items alone. Like you, notifications are a primary use but I also use it for fitness and sleep tracking. I have the aluminum GPS only models and they fit my needs perfectly. The re-designed case and haptic feedback from the crown are great. My sport bands with Series 2 are on the next to last hole. With Series 4, I can get the same fit on the 3rd hole from the end, so wearing it in the next to last hole is much more comfortable as a result. I also like that the case height has been slimmed down.

Health wise, it will get ECG when "later this year" as Apple has said currently has fall detection. Heart rate alerts can be set through Watch OS 5, so you don't need Series 4 for that. You also get the ability to read an email much more legibly rather than at times getting a link.

My Series 2 has been wonderful and it's perfectly serviceable.Watch OS4 seemed a little bit clunky by comparison to OS 3 and had a more noticeable impact on speed. OS 5 seems to have been an improvement, though there are some apps it seems to slow it down. Workout and Timer are two that I know of.

Is there anything about your current watch you feel isn't meeting your needs? Only you have the answer to is it really worth it.

I posted these photos in another thread recently but this might be helpful to you so you can get an idea of the difference in screen and case size.

Attached Files:

4. macdaddy1991 thread starter macrumors regular

Thats the thing, my current watch does everything I need pretty much although I do wish it was a little snappier. Only reason I’d upgrade is for the speed/screen improvements but not sure if that’s worth it for the upgrade.

5. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502

staggerlee41

You could always take advantage of Apple's 14 day return policy and make the decision for yourself. The speed is noticeably improved and with the 64 bit processor it will hopefully handle future updates much better.

6. swandy macrumors 6502

I had two series 2 - one SS and one Alum - and sold the SS Series 2 for a SS Series 4 and could not go back. (Have not even worn my Aluminum Series 2 - which I generally used for working out - bike riding and fast walking - since getting the Series 4. Initially had some glitches with the way the cellular would not come on when walking out of the house and the Watch had to disconnect from the iPhone, but that seems to have gone away. Also had the "issues" of Siri not being responsive when on LTE, but that also seems to be less of an issue after unpairing and repairing the watch to my iPhone XS.
    Also, when I had both of my Series 2 watches I had to pair my AirPods BEFORE walking away from my iPhone, now I can do it when walking without an issue.
    Very happy with the upgrade - and the bigger, brighter screen and the slightly thinner form factor are bonuses.

7. mtneer macrumors 68030

mtneer

If you are fully satisfied with what you have, then there is no reason to upgrade. There will be some incremental upgrade every year and usually these increments are accumulative in newer models too. So, it makes total sense to use your paid off device as long as it functions, or does the functions you expect and only then upgrade to whatever is the latest model in the market at that point of time. Until then, save up your money or utilize it elsewhere..

8. friednoodles macrumors 6502a

It's impossible for any of us to tell you whether it's worth it for you, because everyone's value for money expectation/situation is different, but I went from a Series 2 to Series 4 and it was totally worth it for me.

It's so much better in every way. The speed difference is amazing and the screen is so much bigger, plus it feels more comfortable to wear and thinner (not sure what the difference is in objective measurements, but the design changes certainly make it feel that way). I really like the haptics on the crown, too. There are a few little extra features over the Series 2 that I've noticed, like it being able to count flights of stairs.

9. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

Upgrade.

I did the 2 to 4 and am thrilled with the extra screen space and available faces.

Everything is smoother as far as apps and definitely easier to read with the larger fonts.

The 4 feels like it “wraps” are Lind your wrist a little better rather than a somewhat protruding feeling from my series 2.

The only slight negative I have is that I did buy a Cellular SSSB. The battery definitely drains about 10-15% faster compared to the 2, but that was expected as I leave cellular ON full time.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The biggest aspect is the 30% display increase, but if you’re only using your Series 2 primarily for notifications, the Series 4 may not necessarily be that significant upgrade for you in that respect. But it really varies on what you’re looking for other in the new Series 4? My counter question is, What do *you* like that new Series 4 offers?

11. macdaddy1991 thread starter macrumors regular

Honestly it would be for the screens and increased performance. It would be nice to potentially do a bit more from my watch. Currently I find the interface a little too sluggish to actually reply to anything from my watch or utilize it in a capacity that’s more than just notifications

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Those are two compelling reasons to upgrade, because both the Series 4 with the S4 64 bit dual core processor and 30% larger display are reasons enough based off my own case. It’s just much easier reading the text on the display in terms of viewing content.

13. winterny macrumors 6502

That was exactly my experience. Series 2 was a notification device only, and was pretty much useless for anything else. Any app I tried using was just too slow. Don't get me wrong, having notifications on your wrist is cool on it's own, but being able to actually use apps like Radarscope and Weather Underground has been very nice. For my fitness training, having the Intervals Pro app run flawlessly on the Watch has been a godsend. I think that more high quality apps are going to start becoming available since the watch is finally capable of running them.

Even if you use it 'only' for notifications, the improved screen and taptic feedback make just that use case more enjoyable, too.

I think in iPhones, it would be comparable to experience of upgrading from an iPhone 3G to an iPhone 5.

14. Pseudo-Fed macrumors 6502

Went from S2SS to S4SS. Also went from S3SBSS to S4SBSS. Happy......

15. ttusomeone macrumors member

ttusomeone

I went from a SS series 2 to an aluminum series 4 (non cellular) this weekend and don't regret the switch one bit. For me the bigger screen is a difference maker. I can also tell it's faster and honestly like the hepatic feedback of the dial (I didn't think that would be a big deal but it's nice). I opted for the Nike edition, and like the additional watch faces that come with it too.

16. MagicTorch macrumors member

I upgraded from Series 2 Aluminium (38mm) to Series 4 in SBSS (40mm). I use my Watch mainly for notifications and as a fitness tracker (especially to track running). Actually had no intention of upgrading my Watch this year, but when Series 4 was announced, the early reviews were great & I was very curious about the 40mm Series 4 having a display larger than the displays of Series 0 to Series 3, but in a Watch only slighly larger than the old 38mm case...so I buckled and ordered Series 4.

Love my Series 4 - yes it is faster than previous Series 2, but it really is the bigger display which is the main plus point. Series 4 just looks so nice too...in fact, so much so, that I still use my Series 2 when running, as I don’t want to get sweat on my Series 4!!!

17. Bbafett macrumors 6502

I am completely on the fence on the Series 4. Have a perfectly fine Series 2 Sport that I use for the last couple years. I love it, but wife is wanting to go from fitbits to a Series 4, for Christmas, as she likes the way the Series 4 is and what it can do versus her Fitbit Versa. Probably wouldn't have spent money on a Series 4 if she wasn't getting one. I know I will be jealous of hers if I don't upgrade mine. lol.

It seems like everyone that has upgraded so far has seen huge improvements versus Series 2 but wondered if that is just b/c it is a new device excitement. Is the speed that much of a difference? The extra screen real estate seems so minor. I might need to find a store that I can play with it to see if it is that much of an improvement.

18. friednoodles macrumors 6502a

Yes, it really is that much of a difference. And the screen is way larger.

As soon as you see it in real life you'll realise why everyone is so impressed by it :)

19. an-other macrumors 6502

Went from a S0 to S4, so please keep that in mind.

I agree with others the bigger/brighter screen size is noticeable. it's especially beneficial when exercising and when I'm wearing contacts (which give me old age eyes.)

Battery is much improved, but I had a SO. YMMV.

I will also comment the volume/quality of the speaker and microphone are much improved. It makes using the watch as phone viable. It's not something I would choose to do, however it gives you an option to pick up a call whilst you find your phone!

Other than that, the phone is a very nice evolution. I'd go for it if you use some of the Apple Watch features or apps. (I make decisions now based on Homekit.) I'd consider holding on to your S2 if it's more of a watch unless you just want it. Only you know where you stand there.

I tried to to come up with an example of where I thought the Apple Watch was in another Product Cycle. Hard to do as you don't have the full history of what's to come. The best I can do is analogise this from when the iPod went from the Mini to the first Nano. I still have both and use them. However, you could see the removing of the spinning HD was the next step. (No disrespect to iPod Classic lovers. I still use my classic, too.) That noted, the mini still does everything very well. It's just not the newer "flashier" package. That package also belies some notable improvements. My apologies if others think this analogy is bad. My intent was not to mong this thread with iPod debates. Please send your comments to me directly if you think I'm fos.

Let us know what you end up doing!

20. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I've also upgraded from a SS Series 0 to a SS Series 4, and I'm actually on the fence about keeping it. Like the OP, I really only use this device as a watch, notification tracker, and iPhone music controller, so, even though the new model is faster in every way, I'm not sure all of that speed is used on me much, since checking texts and emails is still ok on the first version (once the thing takes forever to load up after turning on.) With AppleCare, this new watch was nearly $800, so I'm not sure, but I'm going to keep it a few more days and decide. Battery life is the one thing that may push me over the edge to keep it, although my wife quit wearing hers years ago, so I actually have two Series 0 watches to switch between.

Hilariously, since I use a 38mm on the link bracelet, I actually think the Series 0 is better looking, and I prefer the smaller and lighter case, but everything else about the Series 4 is better. If you're constantly switching between and using a bunch of apps, the new model is a no-brainer.

21. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

From a Series 2, DEFINITELY. From a Series 3? Debatable

22. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

do u have screen protector?

23. staggerlee41 macrumors 6502

staggerlee41

Yes, I'm using ArmorSuit.