Series 2 vs Original/Series 0 - workout accuracy?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by atlas_0, Jan 1, 2017.

1. atlas_0 Suspended

atlas_0

is Series 2 a drastic improvement for workout and activity tracking? I have an original stainless model, but I've been wanting a space black. Obviously S0 models are clearanced all over, so it's a big savings, but my primary use, in addition to look, is activity tracking.

Is Series 2 worth it over the original for activity use?

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

If you consider any of the following as a "drastic improvement for workout and activity tracking":

• Internal GPS
    • Swim Mode/ATM5
    • Larger Battery

3. atlas_0 thread starter Suspended

atlas_0

Those are perks, yes, and the gps will come in handy come spring/summer when I take my running outdoors.

That being said, my main concern is accuracy of tracking. For example, doing my daily workout today, my heart rate got stuck at 47bpm - despite it being an intense elliptical session. The low heart rate subsequently translated to an inaccurate amount of calories burned - about a third of the same workout yesterday. This can get pretty frustrating. Does Series 2 suffer from the same issue with monitoring, or is it more accurate and reliable?

4. gsucyclist macrumors regular

I have found it to be pretty accurate. I have worn in along with my garmin and they are usually pretty close as far as distance goes. I have found the built in HRM is pretty accurate if the workout is low intensity with in 2-3 bpm from my heart rate strap, but I have personally found that it can jump all over the place if doing a high HR workout. I wear a bluetooth HR strap all the time anyway as they are far more accurate than any wrist based HRM on any device. The further away the monitor is from the heart the less accurate/consistent