Series 2 waterproofing

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Tetevo, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Tetevo macrumors member

So I Just wanted to know if there's no problem at all to be swimming with my Apple Watch either in the sea or pool. I read about it on the apple site and they don't recommend showering with the series 2 since soap or shampoo can interact with the rubber seals and make it not waterproof given time, they don't recommend it either to scuba dive or waterski.

2. raqball macrumors 68000

I've done one open water swim with mine and several indoor pool swims with no issues..

3. Tetevo thread starter macrumors member

So do you think that even as time passes, it will maintain its waterproofing capability?

4. raqball macrumors 68000

I don't see why it wouldn't... I have a Garmin Fenix 3 I've been using for about a year now and it's still waterproof.. I assume they all use a similar waterproofing..

If you are worried about it's water resistance durability then make sure and get Apple Care + as that will extend coverage to 2-years.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/watch.html

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The showering thing is due to soap residue being left behind if you don't rinse it.

Personally I've showered bathed and regularly swim with my series one since launch and have never had an issue.

6. Tetevo thread starter macrumors member

Here's what says on apple's website

"Showering with Apple Watch Series 2 is ok, but we recommend not exposing Apple Watch to soaps, shampoos, conditioners, lotions, and perfumes as they can negatively affect water seals and acoustic membranes. Apple Watch should be cleaned with fresh water and dried with a lint free-cloth if it comes in contact with anything other than fresh water."

And this

"Water resistance isn't a permanent condition and may diminish over time. Apple Watch can't be rechecked or resealed for water resistance. The following may affect the water resistance of your Apple Watch and should be avoided:

• Dropping Apple Watch or subjecting it to other impacts.
    • Exposing Apple Watch to soap or soapy water.
    • Exposing Apple Watch to perfume, solvents, detergent, acids or acidic foods, insect repellent, lotions, sunscreen, oil, or hair dye.
    • Exposing Apple Watch to high velocity water, for example while water skiing.
    • Wearing Apple Watch in the sauna or steam room.
    Not all bands are appropriate for water use. For example, the leather bands aren't water resistant and shouldn't be exposed to liquids."

So one would think that given time the watch would not stay waterproof "forever" (don't know how many years).

7. raqball macrumors 68000

I guess it depends on how you view tech.. I see the Apple Watch as a disposable item that should last me a few years (4-5 maybe?) but will probably be outdated long before it dies..

I've heard of Garmin watches failing due to water ingress and they are pretty well respected for their waterproofing and swim ability. Anything can and will fail, especially when seals are involved..

If you are worried about the Apple Watch failing then the same will apply to every other watch out there...

Get Apple Care + then rock it, swim with it and enjoy it. If it fails then get it replaced! :)

My .02

8. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I've been abusing my Stainless S0 with all sorts of watery activities since launch day, no issues here. I'm sure you'll be fine with an S2.

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

How far have you pushed yours? I want to wear it in water parks. Go down the slide...weee..get a "splash" then wait online for a half hour. I'm scared to try.

10. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I shower with it a lot of times, I've taken it into the pool on numerous occasions and had it under water for minutes at a time. Admittedly, having AppleCare+ until December 2017 gives me plenty of peace of mind, to the point where I actually kinda want something bad to happen to it so I can get a shiny replacement without any scratches on the case. :D

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Actually, I read a few posts on here that some for members of been receiving refurbs/replacement Apple Watches in the stainless model, that have had scratches on the casing. So I'm not entirely sure that Apple is replacing the casing on every occasion. I personally have not experienced this, but I would not find it suitable if this is the case.

Another for member commented that he received a replacement stainless model that looked like it had been worn previously and not even cleaned very well. So I'm not sure how accurate this all is, but I wouldn't rely too heavily on a replacement device being perfectly new looking.

12. Tetevo thread starter macrumors member

Sure, I see it as well, but I would like maybe to keep my AW for 2-3 years and I wish meanwhile it won't loose its water seals, since I don't have apple care, I wish it even more lol.

And no, for the very little I understand about electronic devices and mechanical watches, it's not the same thing if I swim a lot with a 100 m or more waterproof mechanical watch and a Apple Watch