Series 2 Workout GPS Map

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by testcard, Jan 8, 2017.

1. testcard macrumors 68030

testcard

I got my new Series 2 42mm SS on Friday, and thought I'd try the GPS function today. Went out for an Outdoor Walk today without my iPhone. When I got back, I opened the iPhone Activity app and all the data from the walk seemed to be there, except for a GPS map of my route. Am I missing something?

2. jsmitty macrumors regular

IMG_1072.jpg
    You should be able to select the "workout" icon in the activity app and see the route like this screenshot.

3. DeNachtwacht macrumors member

DeNachtwacht

By the way, also with a series 2 it's a good idea to do the first 2-3 runs WITH you iPhone, because the motion sensors can help to make the calculations more precise.

4. Julien, Jan 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2017

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not true or needed. The :apple:Watch has a gyroscope and accelerometer too. There is no need to carry the iPhone in relation to calibration with a S2.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204516

5. testcard thread starter macrumors 68030

testcard

Got all the data similar to your screenshot for my Outdoor Walk, except for the Route and Weather data.

6. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Make sure you have the location services selections correct.

7. testcard thread starter macrumors 68030

testcard

Thanks - just checked that and Location Services settings are correct. Just tried another short Outdoor Walk and still no GPS data.

8. testcard thread starter macrumors 68030

testcard

Should have followed my own advice to others! Re-paired Watch and GPS data is now working.

9. DeNachtwacht macrumors member

DeNachtwacht

True, but that's not the sensor I am talking about... the watch lacks barometer support (although ifixit did find the device in the watch, Apple did not yet add software support for it) and this is _essential_ for accurate measurements unless you're running in a completely flat landscape which is hard to find... inlees ofcourse you're not running on the street but on a running track.

10. Julien, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The barometer is not a motion sensor. Also the iPhone's barometer can't be 'calibrated' to the :apple:Watch. In order for the :apple:Watch to use the iPhone's barometer you would need to have the iPhone with you all the time when using the Workout app and not just "the first 2-3 runs". Also it looks like the Activity app uses geological data bases (example: https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/ngm-bin/ngm_compsearch.pl) to calculate elevation gains/losses when using with GPS. Many running/biking activity trackers use this method for elevation calculation.

[​IMG]