Series 3: AppleCare+ extended subscription from outside the US?

AppleMango

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 2, 2019
Hi guys,

I'm owning a Series 3 from 02/2018, had AC+ on it, which expired recently.

On my phone I have the support app and I played around with different countries of residence, so I discovered by switching to USA I am offered to subscribe to AppleCare+ monthly subscription for 2,49$.

I really want that because I will pass that watch on to my mum and it will put her mind at ease because she always thinks she breaks things, etc. - So I would be happy to pay that money.

But I don't "really" live in the USA and I don't have a US-Creditcard, I can offer UK or Germany...

So do you see any chance how to get this?
And why do they limit it to US customers?

There must be a way... it is Apple.

Thanks!

aakshey

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Anybody can buy AC+ from any country and it is honoured globally by any Apple rep.

However, sometimes there might be contingencies. For example, buying from USA needs a US card. AC+ monthly needs an American iCloud account with an American CC I guess. And so on.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
AC+ is a form of insurance. It has to comply with the local laws in the countries where it is offered. Different terms and conditions exist in different countries. While it's true that AC+ coverage will be honored outside the country where it was purchased, that doesn't mean you can purchase AC+ coverage in every country. Apple can only sell a particular AC+ policy where it is legal to sell it - so they have to make it hard to buy a US policy in, say, Germany, because the US policy may not comply with German law.

I don't know Apple's reasons for not offering monthly renewal AC+ plans outside the US. However, plans that could be renewed after the initial 2/3 year period expired were first offered in the US in September 2019 - https://www.macrumors.com/2019/09/11/applecare-renewable-monthly-payment-plans/. In other words, renewal coverage is a very new thing.

My guess is that, assuming these extension plans are popular in the US, Apple will eventually offer these month-by-month extensions in other countries. Doing that will probably keep Apple's lawyers and government regulators quite busy until all approvals have been granted.

TiggrToo

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2017
Out there...way out there
Hi guys,

I'm owning a Series 3 from 02/2018, had AC+ on it, which expired recently.

On my phone I have the support app and I played around with different countries of residence, so I discovered by switching to USA I am offered to subscribe to AppleCare+ monthly subscription for 2,49$.

I really want that because I will pass that watch on to my mum and it will put her mind at ease because she always thinks she breaks things, etc. - So I would be happy to pay that money.

But I don't "really" live in the USA and I don't have a US-Creditcard, I can offer UK or Germany...

So do you see any chance how to get this?
And why do they limit it to US customers?

There must be a way... it is Apple.

Thanks!
Don't think so. The plan has to be enabled on a series 3 watch that's no more than 60 days out from its current AppleCare+ warranty. Ergo the moment you try to sign up for this, the fact your existing plan shows up as 'non US' makes me feel you'll have to convince them you are in the US. Which obviously, you can't.

Even if you do swing this, there's a very real possibility that the first time you need it they'll deny you the claim.

Besides all this, why bother? $29 is currently £23 and change. For ~8.5 months of AP+ monthly you can buy a brand new series 3 (which starts at £199).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.