Series 3 Battery Life vs Series 4 and 5

bodonnell202

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hi All,

I've had my Series 3 (GPS only) since Fall 2017 (so it's coming up on 3 years old) and I'm wondering if the battery is starting to go. I'm currently training for a race in late August 2020 (which I may or may not get to actually do based on the current COVID situation) and have been going on increasingly longer runs. After a little over 1.5 hours of running (tracking heart rate and speed/distance) while listening to music on bluetooth headphones (music stored on the Watch, not streamed) the battery is about done (10% left on my last run).

Can anyone comment on how their Series 4 or Series 5 does under similar circumstances? I'm thinking about upgrading but only if it means I'll get a fair bit more time out of my Watch before the battery dies on longer runs.

mk313

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
I have a cellular v 5 and with the cellular on, as long as I have a good signal, doing the exact same things as you describe, running, tracking heart rate, listening to music that is stored in the watch, I lose about 20% battery life per hour I haven’t gone more than 2 hours, so I’m. It sure if that actually would work out to 5 hours but at least over the first 2 hours it averages about 20% drain / hour.

bodonnell202

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have a cellular v 5 and with the cellular on, as long as I have a good signal, doing the exact same things as you describe, running, tracking heart rate, listening to music that is stored in the watch, I lose about 20% battery life per hour I haven’t gone more than 2 hours, so I’m. It sure if that actually would work out to 5 hours but at least over the first 2 hours it averages about 20% drain / hour.
Thanks for the info! I’ve read other things that suggest that the series 5 could last up to 5 hours in that scenario so it sounds like it would be worth it for me.

mk313

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Also, I’m not sure if it impacts the battery life at all but I should note that I have always in display turned off. I didn’t do it for any battery related reasons, just that there’s a slight delay every time it switched from the AOD face to the normal one and it drove me crazy.

Zorori

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2017
Man, that sucks.

I've done 3-hour training runs with a GPS only Series 4. Whilst listening to music on AirPods. At the end of the run, the battery is around 50% The AirPods have played their low battery sound towards the end of the run though!

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
Hi All,

I've had my Series 3 (GPS only) since Fall 2017 (so it's coming up on 3 years old) and I'm wondering if the battery is starting to go. I'm currently training for a race in late August 2020 (which I may or may not get to actually do based on the current COVID situation) and have been going on increasingly longer runs. After a little over 1.5 hours of running (tracking heart rate and speed/distance) while listening to music on bluetooth headphones (music stored on the Watch, not streamed) the battery is about done (10% left on my last run).

Can anyone comment on how their Series 4 or Series 5 does under similar circumstances? I'm thinking about upgrading but only if it means I'll get a fair bit more time out of my Watch before the battery dies on longer runs.
looks like you’re right, it seems to be starting to go. Would you consider not listening to music and trying the run with just the heart sensor draining your battery? You might even be able to disable GPS tracking to eke out the extra battery life.

perezr10

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Bo, I think there is something wrong with your battery or a software issue. A Series 3 should be doing much better than that. I’ve notice lately when my battery is running low that it seems like my green heart rate monitor light is always on.

I have a 44mm Series 5 and a 42mm Series 3. The battery life on both is about the same. I usually go for a 1 hour run each day and typically end up around 20% at night with either watch.

Sometimes I wear my Series 3 because I still like the gray ceramic finish versus my bright stainless steel 5. I’ll unpair my Series 5 and switch the cellular service to my Series 3.

Although, if the Series 3 battery was new I’m sure it would have better battery life than my Series 5. The Series 3 has a battery which is almost 20% larger than the Series 4/5.

Last edited: