Series 3 cellular without cellular

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mntdewdan, Oct 4, 2017.

1. mntdewdan macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of getting a series 3 with cellular. I'm wondering if the LTE is disabled, if there is really any warnings or something that are disruptive. I previously got a cellular enabled iPad and that would always throw an annoying "no plan detected" message when I didn't have it hooked up to a cell plan. As far as I could tell it was impossible to disable on the iPad and I just wanted to make sure the same thing wasn't happening on the LTE series 3.

Thanks!

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

When you set up the Apple Watch Series 3, you don't have to enable the LTE. It can toggled on or off.

3. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

If you don't activate the cellular then the watch will function as a normal GPS model. You won't get any annoying pop ups.

4. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

As someone with a S3 LTE Apple Watch, I can confirm that the only time you’re prompted to activate LTE is during the initial pair of the watch with your iPhone. After that, nothing, but the option remains there in the watch settings through the watch app should you decide to activate it down the road. It will function as though it didn’t have LTE if you don’t activate it.

5. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

I'm thinking of getting S3 with LTE and won't use cellular just because Apple decided to downgrade the GPS version's materials. Good to know that activating LTE is not required.

6. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

I had the Sport S0 Apple Watch so I was used to the composite back. This time around I went with the LTE sport and I like how the cereamic feel against the skin when compared to the composite.

7. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Yeap, this one. I'm prepared to go Aluminum (from SS) but was not happy about Apple slapping on a composite back on the lowest-end series 3.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Off-topic, but similarly related to cost factors. I was disappointed Apple is no longer including the plastic box for the stainless models anymore.