Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mntdewdan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2014
I'm thinking of getting a series 3 with cellular. I'm wondering if the LTE is disabled, if there is really any warnings or something that are disruptive. I previously got a cellular enabled iPad and that would always throw an annoying "no plan detected" message when I didn't have it hooked up to a cell plan. As far as I could tell it was impossible to disable on the iPad and I just wanted to make sure the same thing wasn't happening on the LTE series 3.

Thanks!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I'm thinking of getting a series 3 with cellular. I'm wondering if the LTE is disabled, if there is really any warnings or something that are disruptive. I previously got a cellular enabled iPad and that would always throw an annoying "no plan detected" message when I didn't have it hooked up to a cell plan. As far as I could tell it was impossible to disable on the iPad and I just wanted to make sure the same thing wasn't happening on the LTE series 3.

Thanks!

When you set up the Apple Watch Series 3, you don't have to enable the LTE. It can toggled on or off.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
As someone with a S3 LTE Apple Watch, I can confirm that the only time you’re prompted to activate LTE is during the initial pair of the watch with your iPhone. After that, nothing, but the option remains there in the watch settings through the watch app should you decide to activate it down the road. It will function as though it didn’t have LTE if you don’t activate it.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
I'm thinking of getting S3 with LTE and won't use cellular just because Apple decided to downgrade the GPS version's materials. Good to know that activating LTE is not required.

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
I'm thinking of getting S3 with LTE and won't use cellular just because Apple decided to downgrade the GPS version's materials. Good to know that activating LTE is not required.

I had the Sport S0 Apple Watch so I was used to the composite back. This time around I went with the LTE sport and I like how the cereamic feel against the skin when compared to the composite.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
I had the Sport S0 Apple Watch so I was used to the composite back. This time around I went with the LTE sport and I like how the cereamic feel against the skin when compared to the composite.

Yeap, this one. I'm prepared to go Aluminum (from SS) but was not happy about Apple slapping on a composite back on the lowest-end series 3.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeap, this one. I'm prepared to go Aluminum (from SS) but was not happy about Apple slapping on a composite back on the lowest-end series 3.

Off-topic, but similarly related to cost factors. I was disappointed Apple is no longer including the plastic box for the stainless models anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.