Series 3 ceramic edition?

espo774

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
Worth buying? I love the ceramic gray color and the rareness of it, but to pay $1300 for it when the series 4 can be had for a fraction of that seems like a bad deal. Any idea if these will drop in price, or if a series 4 ceramic edition might be on the horizon next year? I know Best Buy had them for $300 off back in early sept. Thanks in advance!

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Worth buying? I love the ceramic gray color and the rareness of it, but to pay $1300 for it when the series 4 can be had for a fraction of that seems like a bad deal. Any idea if these will drop in price, or if a series 4 ceramic edition might be on the horizon next year? I know Best Buy had them for $300 off back in early sept. Thanks in advance!
It seems to me that we have seen the last year for the edition watches.

Kaloyan

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2009
USA
Honestly, I don’t think it’s worth it considering that 10 years from now this watch will not be worth much. Unfortunately these watches become obsolete fairly quickly due to how fast technology and improvements happen.

espo774

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
Honestly, I don’t think it’s worth it considering that 10 years from now this watch will not be worth much. Unfortunately these watches become obsolete fairly quickly due to how fast technology and improvements happen.
Agree, on both comments. Editions really do not sell well. Just love that casing though. Thx

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I’m also not certain that we won’t see a return of a ceramic watch or a different edition watch. I think this year their focus was on nailing the gold stainless, but I could see them trying out a new material that is another edition since they’ll be wanting another challenge for materials as they tend to do! Series 2 was white ceramic, then grey ceramic for series 3 and now with series 4 gold stainless was the challenge. I’ll be curious what is next there!

dfs

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
California
I have the space gray ceramic and it's a bit of a disappointment. The case is so shiny that it looks like nothing better than plastic. To my eye the muted grey of the aluminum Watch actually manages to look classier and more expensive. Moreover the grey is a good deal lighter than it appears in Apple's publicity photos, MUCH lighter in color than most of its other "space gray" products. Sorry, Mr. Cook, but if I'm paying for space gray, then space gray is what I want to get. As Victoria used to say, we are not amused. No doubt the white would look a lot more elegant, at least on a woman. But I'm a man and don't live in Miami or Vegas, so it's waaay too flashy for my world.

And the cheap strap it comes with is a bummer, strictly for the proles, Apple ought to have risen to the occasion and given us something nice (and thrown in a couple of nifty unique faces, as it does with the Hermes line). I spent enough for this baby without having to turn around and spend yet more for a suitably upscale band.

That all said, since I came to it directly from an Apple Watch 1 I was absolutely blown away by the dramatically longer battery life. That keeps me happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
I have the space gray ceramic and it's a bit of a disappointment. The case is so shiny that it looks like nothing better than plastic. To my eye the muted grey of the aluminum Watch actually manages to look classier and more expensive. Moreover the grey is a good deal lighter than it appears in Apple's publicity photos, MUCH lighter in color than most of its other "space gray" products. Sorry, Mr. Cook, but if I'm paying for space gray, then space gray is what I want to get. As Victoria used to say, we are not amused. No doubt the white would look a lot more elegant, at least on a woman. But I'm a man and don't live in Miami or Vegas, so it's waaay too flashy for my world.

And the cheap strap it comes with is a bummer, strictly for the proles, Apple ought to have risen to the occasion and given us something nice (and thrown in a couple of nifty unique faces, as it does with the Hermes line). I spent enough for this baby without having to turn around and spend yet more for a suitably upscale band.

That all said, since I came to it directly from an Apple Watch 1 I was absolutely blown away by the dramatically longer battery life. That keeps me happy with my purchase.
It's not marketed as "space grey" (a mix between black and grey), it's marketed as "grey". Did you not read up on reviews, or look at real world pictures online before purchasing? The grey is actually a bit of a chameleon if you take the time with it; it can look very dark grey, very light grey or can look like polished titanium in the sun. I actually really like it and love wearing it with either a nice brown leather strap or charcoal leather loop.