Series 3 Crown

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Dormammu, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    Is the Digital Crown the same size on Apple Watch series 3 the same as the series 1/2?

Thanks.

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Apple doesn't have specifications listed under the website for the digital crown measurements. But after viewing all three models, it appears it's physically exactly the same with the first generation Apple Watch and series 1/2/3.

3. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

I'm not sure why you are asking, but one issues with "watch dots" which people wanted to use to cover the red dot on the LTE versions of Series 3 watches is that the current versions made for decoration of Series 0/1/2 watches do not fully cover the red dot. I'm not sure if it's because the crown is larger or if it's because the original Watch Dots weren't meant to specifically cover over a colored in crown.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

There’s a watchdog thread that points out the dot of the crown is larger at least for the LTE version

5. edhchoe, Oct 11, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2017

edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I just measured my AW2 and AW3.
    They both measure 7.52mm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Dormammu thread starter macrumors 65816

Dormammu

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    Precisely what I was looking for. Thank you so much.
    Also, I love the ceramic watch edition :)

7. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Oddly, they feel a little different in size if you compare different models. We noticed a Series 0 SS model had softer edges (slightly more rounded) on the crown than a newer gold aluminum S3. This sharper edge on the S3 made it feel a little different in size initially.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

But in comparison, those are completely different materials used with the aluminum and stainless. I can tell you the stainless steel on the first generation Apple Watch and with most current generation stainless, there is literally no way to decipher the Digital Crown by Touch.