Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tapiture

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2016

I haven’t seen many good reviews on this new Series 3. As a Series 0 owner, I wanted to upgrade when the new watch came out this month, but now I’m reconsidering and maybe going for a Series 2 instead.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
It’s dubious at best until the software fix is in. Go ahead and report the issue, as it is a big deal, but grade it “incomplete” for now.

Reactions: SRLMJ23

kreasonos

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2013
The only way this becomes a success is with some kind of battery revolution. Give me a weeks charge on it and no added charge on my plan and I’ll consider it.

Reactions: Ryanmrash

2010lexus

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2013
The only way this becomes a success is with some kind of battery revolution. Give me a weeks charge on it and no added charge on my plan and I’ll consider it.
I was wondering if you had a phone? Because if you do I’m guessing that your phone gives you a weeks charge on it .

Reactions: Cigsm and SRLMJ23

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Why would you expect to have cellular signal out in the ocean?

It is not like she was way out in the ocean. She was right off shore (75-100 yards?) where you do get cellular signal. I have been on boats where, yes, if you go way out you lose service but when you get closer to shore you get service again.

:apple:

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
I knew there would be battery issues, it’s not a big deal to me, I’m buying a keychain battery charger. I’m not leaving it on all the time, just when I want to check things and maybe make a call if needed.

The watch is so small, it’s already a miracle it lasts as long as it does.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

I disagree. The success of the Apple Watch is not based on the battery life. It's based on the functionality and the fitness/health capabilities behind it. We already know it can act as a median in between the iPhone for notifications. But what you're requesting, for a week long battery life and no add a charge on your cell your plan, is not practical.

Most charge their Apple Watch on a daily basis anyways, so why would somebody need a weeklong battery life? Not to mention, I don't know any carrier Who would give free LTE on a regular basis for the Apple Watch, with the exception of a trial period.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
I live by the coast and when I go down to the seafront I don’t get signal on my phone. The verges review is stupid.

Need to find a better beach. :) When I'm on the seafront, whether atlantic or gulf, the beaches I visit have solid cell/LTE signal. I'm sure that signal is still quite good a couple hundred yards offshore. :)

Last edited:

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Really depends where the towers are guys. Used to have spotty coverage at my Dad's (Lake Huron) until Mike Lazaridis built his steel and glass (fugly) castle down the beach a couple miles (and got Rogers to put up another tower) - obviously, that was back when BlackBerry had some clout....but the tower's still there. :)

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Heh...yeah...in a perfect world, the carriers would have everywhere coated in LTE advanced, at least two miles off shore. :) Never gonna happen. (this is why a lot of boaters still have satellite phones) :)

billcoff

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Heh...yeah...in a perfect world, the carriers would have everywhere coated in LTE advanced, at least two miles off shore. :) Never gonna happen. (this is why a lot of boaters still have satellite phones) :)
Just driving around town, my iPhone will default to 3G or even Edge sometimes. I can still make and receive calls, but data will be slow. I don't think the Series 3 would be able to do that when LTE isn't available.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Yes and no. The specs say it also supports 3G UMTS (HSDPA, HSUPA), but not 2G (EDGE). I think even the former CDMA carriers still support UMTS, so there's hope. But those Edge zones need to get updated.

Hmm. Just had another thought. That UMTS support may just be for data. Guess we won't know for certain until these are out there in the wild. :)

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
I live by the coast and when I go down to the seafront I don’t get signal on my phone. The verges review is stupid.

Same. I have Verizon and live close to the beach in Los Angeles, and get no LTE when actually on the beach. Not sure if other carriers would do better, but Verizon clearly doesn’t have enough LTE towers near the beach. It only seems to affect LTE data, not standard cell service, but I’m assuming the watch uses data for calls.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Same. I have Verizon and live close to the beach in Los Angeles, and get no LTE when actually on the beach. Not sure if other carriers would do better, but Verizon clearly doesn’t have enough LTE towers near the beach. It only seems to affect LTE data, not standard cell service, but I’m assuming the watch uses data for calls.
This is part of the "bun fight" Apple has kicked off with the carriers. Not all of them were supporting eSIM provisioning and not all of them had support for VoLTE (voice over LTE). The Watch supports VoLTE (not sure if it will support native voice over UMTS). The carriers have deployed LTE to handle the demand for data, but have been keeping voice traffic over the 3G and 2G bands.

Part of the problem as well is that the GSMA hasn't finalized provisions for VoLTE roaming (which is why roaming isn't supported for the watch). Apple's lighting a bit of a fire under them by doing this. (but, by all accounts, they should have finalized all of this before they started deploying LTE networks in the first place) :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.