Series 3 longevity

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by yui4, Dec 6, 2018.

1. yui4 macrumors 6502a

ive been offered a good deal on a SB SS series 3 with AppleCare+ until mid next year

I’m considering buying it for a gift. How long do you think the series 3 will still run well for before the inevitable slow down starts

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

You will not find a definitive answer on this. Series 3 is still fairly capable with the dual core processor, but watchOS 6 could greatly change or impact the performance, but I expect at least another two years of watchOS support at minimum for the Series 3.

3. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

I would say the S3 is worth the savings becuase in a few years, you're going to want a new watch anyway, and I can't see the S4 being worth the extra bucks at this point - it's already a quarter of its way through its life cycle. Also - I highly doubt the S4 is going to replace the S3 in the lineup when Apple releases a new S5. I think the S3 is going to be around for a long time in the watch line up, as putting in the S4 where the S3 is now while the S5 is out - consumers would be buying the S4 in droves because the two models would be competing with each other. The S3 will have a lower price point, smaller screen, etc while the S4 will just be killed off and the S5 will take the place of the S4. I see Apple keeping the S3 around in order to drive sales of the higher and newer models with the new form factor - and if you dont want that, you just get the cheaper version. I see apple keeping the S3 around until the S6 is released.

4. yui4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bought it. AppleCare+ with both claims still untouched. Even if it only stayed good until end of next year when the AppleCare runs out I’ll be happy.

5. magicschoolbus macrumors 65816

magicschoolbus

Awesome. Now head to amazon to pick
    Up some cheap sport loops. The AdMasters brand on there is by far the best fitting ones and nearly identical.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K3YTQG2/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_MozdCb1D7NXWW