Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneteam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
Cincinnati, USA
I'm experiencing LTE connectivity issues on my watch. It's the same problem some reviewers experience when testing the watch. Whenever there's an open unauthenticated wifi network (like Starbucks, public hotspot, etc) the watch connects/joins this unauthenticated network and drops LTE, but there's not wifi connection because it's stuck at the login page. This only happens when the watch is being used by itself with no iPhone nearby.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Is there any workaround?

I know Apple has acknowledged the problem and promise a fix with a software update. But not having LTE in many places kind of defeats the purpose of having an LTE watch.

Space Gray Aluminum 42mm

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I am experiencing problems - or it certainly drops a lot - but I don't know if mine is related to the open wifi or not

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Have you previously connected to those networks? If yes you probably need to forget those networks on your phone.

Leica Dad

Suspended
Sep 28, 2017
I'm experiencing LTE connectivity issues on my watch. It's the same problem some reviewers experience when testing the watch. Whenever there's an open unauthenticated wifi network (like Starbucks, public hotspot, etc) the watch connects/joins this unauthenticated network and drops LTE, but there's not wifi connection because it's stuck at the login page. This only happens when the watch is being used by itself with no iPhone nearby.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Is there any workaround?

I know Apple has acknowledged the problem and promise a fix with a software update. But not having LTE in many places kind of defeats the purpose of having an LTE watch.

Space Gray Aluminum 42mm

I have not, but I think the workaround for now is to removed those WiFi hotspot from your iCloud. Or go to your iPhone and select those network then tap on forget network for each one.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I am experiencing problems - or it certainly drops a lot - but I don't know if mine is related to the open wifi or not
No workaround since Apple did not include a way to toggle Off/On Bluetooth & Wi-Fi like the way Cellular is managed.

Only way to verify if you are seeing the Wi-Fi issue is to verify it by connecting your iPhone and verify it is a Walled Garden with no Internet direct access.

Dave

oneteam

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2008
Cincinnati, USA
I have not, but I think the workaround for now is to removed those WiFi hotspot from your iCloud. Or go to your iPhone and select those network then tap on forget network for each one.

The problem is that I've never connected to these networks before. It happened at my gym and at a coffee shop where they have free wifi but I've never connected to their wifi. These networks are not saved in the iCloud.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65832
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I have not experienced these issues. Most if not all of the public wifi are worse than useless and I would advise anyone against using an unsecured public wifi.

Not ideal, but I would advise anyone experience this issue, to go into their iPhone, Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Settings. This should remove all previously joined wifi networks. And then see if this helps matters.

Hopefully Apple will release a software fix shortly, even if it's just a wifi turn on/off switch on the AW.

Leica Dad

Suspended
Sep 28, 2017
The problem is that I've never connected to these networks before. It happened at my gym and at a coffee shop where they have free wifi but I've never connected to their wifi. These networks are not saved in the iCloud.
Interesting, I didn’t experience the same issue at target or Starbucks. Hopefully Apple will release a fix soon.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65832
Dec 21, 2010
UK

I watched and commented on your useful Apple Watch Series 3 vids last night (TalsVids). Really in-depth and useful :)

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
No workaround since Apple did not include a way to toggle Off/On Bluetooth & Wi-Fi like the way Cellular is managed.

Only way to verify if you are seeing the Wi-Fi issue is to verify it by connecting your iPhone and verify it is a Walled Garden with no Internet direct access.

Dave
I don't think mine is the open wifi problem - I do not connect to public wifi - I think mine is more related to the watch dropping/not picking up the lte signal. I know these are places where my phone is fine -so I think the watch's lte is weak. And it is really slow to switch from being near the phone to lte when I leave the house/phone/wifi behind- it takes mine about 3 minutes or so.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
From my exp I feel it’s about half a bar less signal and it sometimes takes a little longer then the iPhone to get a signal. The iPhone has much bigger antennas and bigger battery etc so I expect it to perform better. I’m surprise the watch does as good as it does being so small.

Leica Dad

Suspended
Sep 28, 2017
From my exp I feel it’s about half a bar less signal and it sometimes takes a little longer then the iPhone to get a signal. The iPhone has much bigger antennas and bigger battery etc so I expect it to perform better. I’m surprise the watch does as good as it does being so small.
That’s explain why my 42mm will get connected before the 38mm, the antennna chip inside might be the same size, but the bigger screen might provide more area to accept signals.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65832
Dec 21, 2010
UK

Not too sure on the signal strength difference between the iPhone, can't say I've noticed much difference, so that says something I suppose.

Pretty impressed with how quickly the AW picks up a cellular signal. For example, in parts of my house I get bluetooth connectivity until I go to the lower floor, rear part of my house and I then lose bluetooth and get WIFI. Once I go out of the rear door and into the yard area of my house, I lose WIFI. Takes around 10-15 seconds from when the red X appears, till I see the cellular signal dots.

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
I don't think mine is the open wifi problem - I do not connect to public wifi - I think mine is more related to the watch dropping/not picking up the lte signal. I know these are places where my phone is fine -so I think the watch's lte is weak. And it is really slow to switch from being near the phone to lte when I leave the house/phone/wifi behind- it takes mine about 3 minutes or so.
My coworker and I were both able to reproduce this. It's seemingly an issue where it's slow to pick up the LTE signal/doesn't switch over at all for whatever reason. Toggling Airplane mode or restarting the Watch can force the switch.

Reactions: Farrellcollie

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015

Hey Leica Dad, i used your method by forgetting WiFi network which was previously connected via iPhone and now cellular is working. Thanks

Reactions: Leica Dad

Farrellcollie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
My coworker and I were both able to reproduce this. It's seemingly an issue where it's slow to pick up the LTE signal/doesn't switch over at all for whatever reason. Toggling Airplane mode or restarting the Watch can force the switch.
I have been going into cellular and pushing connect -but still a hassle

Leica Dad

Suspended
Sep 28, 2017
Hey Leica Dad, i used your method by forgetting WiFi network which was previously connected via iPhone and now cellular is working. Thanks
Hey that’s good news! There are couple of workaround until Apple fix this, but I’m glad it helps!

Reactions: Zune55

jekim

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
I’ve noticed that in most stores I have tried it in, the further back I go the signal drops where my phone would still have a bar and work most of the time. Not a deal breaker because I understand it’s not as powerful as the phone. Plus in my town, AT&T is 2 bars in most places.

Reactions: Leica Dad
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.