Series 3 LTE Model without Cell Plan

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Briggsdn2001, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Briggsdn2001 macrumors newbie

Briggsdn2001

Hi!

Perhaps an odd question, but can you purchase a Cell model and not use the cell plan? The reason I ask this is that I want to use the watch for exercise and I Love the idea of running outside without my phone but still being connected, however, as I live in a cold weather climate, I will be moving to an indoor exercise bike for the winter months where my phone can be nearby.

Essentially, I am willing to pay for the cell connection from April - October, but the rest of the year, I’m not sure it’s worth it. Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks so much!

2. Leica Dad Suspended

Leica Dad

For T-Mobile, the watch plan is on monthly contract and you can cancel it anytime and activate when you need!

3. Briggsdn2001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Briggsdn2001

This is exactly what I am looking for. I am on ATT right now....would I have to switch everything over to make that work. Any ATT people have experience with this

4. wesselya macrumors member

Att is the same. You can cancel anytime and start it up again.

5. gatorknight904 macrumors 6502a

gatorknight904

I would think it’s the same on AT&T... Just call and confirm. #611 on your cell.

6. Leica Dad Suspended

Leica Dad

One more thing, I believe the activation fee is currently waived under promotion period, so you might be charge the fee in the future to re-activated. Which you might still end up saving $20-30 compared to keep the plan all year.

7. LMMAACC macrumors 6502

LMMAACC

I want the SS watch but I really don’t need the cell plan but maybe will use in future. Can I pair the series 3 watch with my phone and use it without a cell plan? Thanks

8. Leica Dad Suspended

Leica Dad

Yes, just skip the cellular setup then it will just work like normal Apple Watch!

9. LMMAACC macrumors 6502

LMMAACC

Thank you. I was hoping that was how it worked.

10. Briggsdn2001 thread starter macrumors newbie

Briggsdn2001

Thanks for all of the help and good conversation everyone.

11. Chacocliff macrumors 6502

I would check with ATT. I was told that since it is an electronic sim, that once you cancel the plan on the watch, it cannot be activated again. I’m not 100% sure the rep knew what they were talking about though.

12. techspin macrumors 6502a

Does the sim self-destruct? ;)

13. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No the eSIM does not self-destruct but on the iPad Pro with the eSIM, AT&T was / is able to lock the eSIM to AT&T. The good news in the case of the iPad Pro is that it also has a nano-SIM so you can just put a nano-SIM from the Carrier of your choice and keep moving.

Dave

14. co1f macrumors regular

From the fine print, it looks like there could be a $25 activation fee each time. For me, I think of $120/year as cheap insurance to have a cellular backup should I forget my iPhone occasionally.

15. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Don't forget the Plus taxes, Federal fees, local taxes, etc.

16. co1f macrumors regular

Yes, that’s an excellent point. I’m guessing my monthly bill for this will probably be closer to $15 per month. Still reasonable to me for an extra device I’m most likely to have with me when I forget my phone... but outrageous nonetheless. Shame on whoever tacks on all the added fees/taxes. :)

17. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No it should be less that a dollar. One of the lines on my plan is $40 and the added fees and taxes are only $2.81. Don't you people ever look at a bill?

Dave

18. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

I think it depends of where you live. For instance, the city right next to me charges local taxes on cell plans but my city does not. And yes, I do look at my phone bill every single month.
    EDIT: I just looked on my bill and my fee to join our plan is $15.00 a month but with the added taxes it's $18.52.

19. co1f macrumors regular

I do :)
    I’ll try to remember to post back here after my next bill.
    My current bill has the $10 + $25 + prorated monthly + taxes/fees comes to $41.xx
    Extra iPhones on my Att plan are $15/mo, but with taxes/fees comes to $21.xx
    So that’s where my “about $15/mo” for my watch came from.
    Happy for it to be less than that of course!

20. KPOM macrumors G5

Where I am, it is close to $7 in fees and taxes.