Series 3 LTE - Old Verizon plan = NO cellular on watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by biglipps66, Sep 23, 2017.

1. biglipps66 macrumors member

If you have an old grandfathered LTE plan on Verizon, you either have to change to a new plan or live without the cellular feature. According to Verizon, you are NOT able to activate the cellular feature on their network if you have an old plan. I am severely disappointed.

2. andrewket macrumors regular

I’ve had 3 different reps tell me I can activate it on my gUDP but it’s not working yet...

3. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

Verizon consistently told me I had to be on the line share plan. That was actually the one thing they all agreed on

4. andrewket macrumors regular

I specifically asked each of them, because I’ve been assuming that’s my activation problem. Each one said it wasn’t a problem.

5. andrewket macrumors regular

After being on hold for 15 min (IVR said 5) I spoke to a rep who had a clue. He tried to activate it but it wouldn’t allow him because of my plan. He tried to get a manger to override it, who agreed, but the system wouldn’t do it.

So I did nothing. I’m thinking about what I want to do. Possibly a new or sub account with a new line, and put my gUDP in a hotspot.

Silly Verizon. I’m just trying to give you more money and you wasted hours of my time because your reps are not properly trained.

6. RtWrecklezX macrumors member

RtWrecklezX

I believe you can add it as a separate device i.e. iPad with cellular but it cost 30 bucks right?

7. andrewket macrumors regular

Possibly. I also have a t-mobile account. I think I’ll go activate there as a share. By using the same Apple ID I’ll get some of the functionality. iMessage will work, but SMS won’t. I’ll be able to make calls, but not receive on my standard number. I could call forward, but then voicemail gets problematic.

I just realized the problem with this setup is I’ll normally have my Verizon phone with me and not tmobile. Hmmm what happens if I change SIM cards on the phone. Experiment time.

8. dave006 Contributor

dave006

Just remember that your LTE watch and iPhone are required to be on the same carrier and the same post paid billing account for full functionality.

Dave

9. biglipps66 thread starter macrumors member

CONFIRMED.

This is NOT POSSIBLE on an old plan, its simply not a feature they have allowed at this point.
    Very VERY disappointing. I have a customer loyalty number that Ill be calling soon. Ive had the same plan for literally 12 years now, I am NOT changing it, watch goes back if thats the case.

10. RtWrecklezX macrumors member

RtWrecklezX

Bummer, Verizon is really trying to kill all these grandfathered unlimited data plans. Charging 50 bucks, throttling everyone and now this.

11. andrewket macrumors regular

I decided to keep the watch, but I’m leaving it unactivated for now. I have little hope that VZW in the future will allow us to use our old plans with the watch, but for now, my “unlimited” non-capped hotspot is worth more to me than having LTE on my watch for the handful of times per month that my watch may not be in range of my phone. Silly Verizon.

12. Farrellcollie, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017

Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

One would think they would be happy to take $10 more dollars from anyone on any plan - particularly when it is attached to line that person already has with them. I am surprised (although having used verizon for a good number of years - I probably should not be) at how hard they are making it to give them more money for something that seems like it is not a big deal on their end of things.