SERIES 3 RESETTING

ShadowJade

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
Last night my series 3 stainless steel reset to Apple logo while playing music from a playlist during my workout. It came back to my watch face with 34% battery in the battery field, (lower by far than my watch ever gets). After several reset cycles (battery reading vastly different each time), I forced a power off. When it came back up, same problem still. Did a "hard reset"...same problem. I tried to erase contents and settings, it asked for my 4 digit code, and the wouldn't execute the erasure. Finally unpaired from my iphone X, now it charges fine, gets the green ring with bolt in the middle, and goes to the "pair nearby iphone" screen. After 20+ tries both using camera to pair and manual with watch supplying code, I have gotten a "paired" notice every time, and have made it as far as entering a 4 digit code for watch security...but each time the watch eventually goes to the Apple logo, breaks the pairing process and restarts. The iphone soon follows suit, and exits the process. I have a genius bar appt later today, but the chat session rep said it was going to be a $289 flat repair fee. 1) my original Apple watch stainless steel is still operating 4.5 years later, 2) if I was replaing a $289 watch after just 1.25 years, I would have bought the sport for $350 and not worried about case durability, 3) why would someone pay against a meticulously cared for watch for what is clearly a software issue? Is anyone else suddenly having any issues like this?

Reactions: Freakonomics101

ShadowJade

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
For anyone that cares to read...they waived the "flat fee" and sent it out for repair or replace. They saw in my history that I had 1-Apple Pencil, 4 pairs of airpods, 4 ipads, 1 ipad mini, 4 iphones, 2 macs, 1 macbook air, 1 airport extreme, 1 airport express and 4 watches. Believed it to be software related, 6-10 business days for return of repaired or new watch.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68020
Nov 6, 2014
I do think it’s complete crap to pay that fee for a software issue. It should be the same as any iDevice. If there’s a software issue, no need for a fee. Easy to restore. Even though it’s not possible with iTunes, there should be no fee for a software glitch. Basically giving them $289 for the heck of it. Shoot, I paid $209 for my Series 3 42mm. I would rather sell the old one for parts or as is and use that and apply the money towards another one.

I’m glad it all worked out for you. How did you get them to waive it? Just because you’re a loyal customer?

ShadowJade

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 12, 2014
I do think it’s complete crap to pay that fee for a software issue. It should be the same as any iDevice. If there’s a software issue, no need for a fee. Easy to restore. Even though it’s not possible with iTunes, there should be no fee for a software glitch. Basically giving them $289 for the heck of it. Shoot, I paid $209 for my Series 3 42mm. I would rather sell the old one for parts or as is and use that and apply the money towards another one.

I’m glad it all worked out for you. How did you get them to waive it? Just because you’re a loyal customer?
[doublepost=1543459049][/doublepost]Part of that is exactly what I said. I am so OCD, 1 scratch on any of my Apple devices, and that is all I see. I Zagg Sheila my phones and iPads. Told the manager that I spend the extra $3-400 dollars for the SS and sapphire is to keep it pristine, and to pass it on to my kids. If 2 months out of warranty I need to pay $329, I might as well buy a sport on Black Friday. I went through the whole practice of my process of power cycles, hard resets, was able to show that the unpaired Watch still executed voice over on a triple crown click, that it still paired via QR scan and via manual with the watch displaying a unique code...he quickly agreed software. The whole time I did the “you get more ants with honey than vinegar” approach. He was also aware that I have sold more Apple goods through my immense push of their product than the average associate.