Series 3 SS or Series 4 Aluminum

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mikeeee, Sep 30, 2018.

?

Series 3 SS vs Series 4 Aluminum

1. Series 3 SS

2. Series 4 Aluminum

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mikeeee macrumors 6502

Mikeeee

I’m thinking about the upgrade from the perspective of selling my existing Series 3 SS to cover the cost of the new Series 4. If I don’t want to spend any additional money I’d end up with a Series 4 Aluminum. Curious what people would prefer in this particular case.

2. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

I did this yesterday. Picked up my AW4 Aluminium from Apple. It is worth it.

Also, like a friend of mine pointed out, if you plan on upgrading often, why bother with the extra $200+? The trade in value is marginal, around $25 difference.

3. Jason Hensley macrumors 6502a

Jason Hensley

4. Scott-n-Houston macrumors 6502a

That was my thinking... I had a S0 SS and an S2 SBSS. They I would have gotten maybe $30 less had they been aluminum when I sold them... Not even that on the S0.
    I decided to try aluminum for the first time, and have no RAGRETS!

5. brentc133 macrumors member

Am I the only one that is frustrated with Apple and what they are charging for the stainless steel/sapphire S4. In Canada, it is a $300 upgrade from the aluminum LTE version. $300 more for that tiny case? Samsung offered the stainless steel sapphire on the S3 series for $50 more and I had that watch and it was every bit as good as my S3 Apple Watch. I’m having trouble pulling the trigger on a the Apple S4 because I’m worried about aluminum denting and the ion x glass scratching but $989 for stainless model is crazy. I know Apple has its followers that will pay pretty much whatever the price to own the best model but I’ve finally reached my limit.

6. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I don’t care for the aluminum model, because I don’t like the construction and overall durability of the Ion– X Glass. The 7000 series aluminum casing is very durable, but I think Ion – X Glass is garbage and it scratches way too easy. Unless you’re someone that wants to use a screen protector, I don’t care for those and I don’t think I should have to use a screen protector protect a fragile display.

Secondly, I don’t like the way the aluminum feels on the wrist. If feels like a toy, it’s too light and if feels cheap. I’m not trying to be dismissive or downplay the sport model Apple Watch, because it is a solid smart watch, but I actually like the substantiality of wearing the stainless model, because it feels more like an actual ‘watch’.

The reason why I opted for the stainless model, and [yes I realize that they are not cheap], is I do like the Sapphire display which is highly scratch resistant and the stainless casing.

Also, I realize Apples prices are not affordable for everyone, and for those that do appreciate the stainless model, the construction, the durability and the overall hardware standards are very high-quality. (And no, I’m not Someone That cares about the resale value one way the other with the Apple Watch).

8. Mikeeee thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikeeee

I went out and bought the Series 4, 44 SG. I also placed my SS Series 3 for sale for the same price I paid for my new aluminum Series 4. I'm not sure I'll get that.

I have to say the new watch face is really nice. Love the Infograph face. I like the slightly changed form factor and the bigger size. I seem to like SG aluminum more on Series 4 vs Series 3. Still not sure if it's worth giving up my SS Series 3 though. Will continue to compare both.

fullsizeoutput_13b6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_13b7.jpeg

9. mackie8 macrumors 6502a

Im in the same boat... i managed to sell my s3 ss for a good price and i can top up a little to get s4 gps.... im still halfhearted about this... i love the stainless.... but i dont use LTE so basically im just paying the material....

Decided to try gps while my gold ss is backorder...[​IMG]