Series 3 T-Mobile

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by lordofthereef, Sep 18, 2017.

1. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

apologies for the potentially silly question. I’m actually in japan right now and have free data, albeit slow, with T-Mobile. So I’m unable to do a whole lot of searching.

Anyway, I’ve found that T-Mobile data for the lte series 3 is $10 a month after the first three months. I also see that you can finance the Watch with 0%, essentially an interest free loan.

What I can’t seem to find is the stainless steel version. Is there not one with T-Mobile? If not, will there never be one? I’m manly looking for the sapphire glass as I see myself keeping this device for multiple years; don’t so much care about the case, though the stainless my wife has is nice.

Also, do these come unlocked?

2. lordofthereef thread starter macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Surprised to have received no responses. Is this a matter of “nobody knows”?

3. ronm99 macrumors 6502

I also have T-Mobile, and I ordered my stainless LTE watch from Apple. I didn't check what the T-Mobile website had available. If the T-Mobile site does not have the stainless version, you would need to order it from Apple (and the same financing would not be available).

You don't need to order a special "T-Mobile" version of the watch ... you just need to order an LTE watch from your country. i.e. If you live in the US, you need to order a US version. When you activate your watch, it will connect to your plan (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, or T-Mobile only).

It sounds like a US version of the Apple LTE Watch will not work via cellular when outside the US (i.e. in Japan, your phone will have its free and slow connection, but the watch will not have any internet connectivity in Japan when you are not in range of your phone).

4. resaka macrumors 6502

resaka

It's possible that nobody knows. I'd check with T-Force on social media about the availability of the SS AW. I doubt that the watches will be unlocked - I believe they're doing something with DIGITS for the Apple Watches though. I'd confirm that with them too.

Share what you learn when you find out though, please!

5. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

Some notes about Series 3 and T-Mobile that you may already be aware of...

- 3G speeds only
    - works in your country only

I'm no expert. Just read this in Mac Rumors articles.

6. Sartoria macrumors newbie

Sartoria

The T-Mobile CEO actually tweeted that he reversed the 3G speed decision based on the negative backlash received, and that they would instead support regular LTE speeds.

7. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

Well now, that's a crown dot of a different color!

8. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 65816

from anything i can see there is no stainless steel model sold by T-Mobile. i bought my stainless through apple and bought one of my other lines a black sport model on EIP.

9. lordofthereef thread starter macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Thanks. :)

I asked and haven’t received a response. They’re usually pretty good. I could call but the phone support never seems to be terribly knowledgeable about the newer stuff. At least not for a few weeks.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2017 ---
    Apple allows for monthly financing? I don’t mind buying outright but if I don’t have to, I’d prefer not to. I also like rolling everything into one bill which is obviously not an option through Apple, right?

10. nburwell, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

I logged into my T-Mobile account, and although they prompt you to call to pre-order the Apple Watch, I did notice that only the aluminum cases are listed on their site.

I'm hoping that once the Watch is actually released, they will carry the SS models, especially since they are offering $0 down.

**EDIT** I received a response from T-Force on Twitter that they are only offering the models listed on their site. So it doesn't look like they're going to carry the SS. Bummer.

11. ronm99 macrumors 6502

I checked the Apple site ... the financing options basically boil down to signing up for the Barclay's Apple Rewards credit card. Don't quote me on this, and make sure you read the fine print, but it looks like you will get 3% "rewards" on your purchase, and 18 months to pay it off with no interest.

12. lordofthereef thread starter macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Thanks for the info everyone! I too got a response from T-Mobile and was told no information about the stainless was currently available. Whether this translates to “never”, I couldn’t say. Ah well.

13. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell