Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Watch OS 6 hasn't been released for the S3 models yet. It should be out really soon.

Release Date
watchOS 6 was released to the public on Thursday, September 19. Initially, it is available only on the Series 3, 4, and 5 Apple Watches, with the update set to launch on the Apple Watch Series 1 and 2 at a later date.

Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Release Date
watchOS 6 was released to the public on Thursday, September 19. Initially, it is available only on the Series 3, 4, and 5 Apple Watches, with the update set to launch on the Apple Watch Series 1 and 2 at a later date.
Hmm I see that too. I thought it was just for the S4 and others were getting it later. Maybe try resetting the watch by removing it from your phone then reinstalling it?

SAMtheGAM

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I have WatchOS 6 on my Series 3 GPS+Cellular model. Try rebooting the iPhone and watch.

GrandCiel

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2019
I updated my Series 3 to 6 yesterday but I think you need to update your iPhone to the latest, 13.1.1 for my 8 Plus, before you update your watch.

Collywobbles

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2017
So, 6.0.1 specifically targeting those watches that have lost their 'voices'; seems a pretty common problem to be number one on the patch list..
Works (eventually) on a series 4, doesn't work on a series 3. I'm not sure why but it took around half an hour or so for it to start working on a series 4. I'd written it off as another flop, but then it kicked in. This hasn't happened on the 3, it still doesn't work.

Calibration data, breathe app, no longer locks up and correctly reflects the daily activity.
Works on a series 4, does not work on a series 3

So now it looks like we're going to be subjected to a series of fast moving bodges whose intention is to rectify the last bodge....

Heres' a couple of assumptions Apple would like you to swallow..
Change equals better / improved...
It does not. Change simply means different, not better. Sadly in the majority of Apple software releases these days, change actually means the addition of features you haven't asked for and don't want and subsequent instability in functionality of existing features you've been enjoying...

Apple cares about you...
That might have been true, once, but now it does not; if it did it wouldn't chuck so much dodgy software at you. Remember, software failures are the primary source of access for hackers and failed software leaves things lying around in memory that can be taken advantage of. You cannot keep my data private if your software is unreliable. Security and reliability go hand in hand...

Apple cares about it's hardware.
Not any more, it's a dying revenue stream. It cares about services now, because that's a growing revenue stream. Watch the last key note... And, the last few phones and watches should be telling you this; the series 5 is a series 4 with an all day screen (and a useless App Store...). Why on earth would I use an App Store on a watch, it's like trying to read my email.. Anyone got a magnifying glass? And the iPhone 11 pro is an iPhone X with fancy cameras... If I really want good pictures, I won't be using a phone. ask the honest opinion of any real photographer..

If you're going to introduce features, don't destabilise the whole platform to do it and offer me something useful. That means something that's applicable to the platform and the target audience.

But, hey I hear you cry!! I can now turn my $1000 watch into a ten buck Casio (circa 1990) with a calculator care of watch OS 6 (note the version number)... Did it really take 6 versions to put a calculator on it?

And it looks like they've really botched up reminders.. Apparently I have to 'upgrade' them, but I can't do this till I'm on Catalina and iPadOS. I shifted back to High Sierra on my MacBook Pro after subjecting myself to a couple of months of Mojave. It's idling temperature dropped 15˚ using HS as opposed Mojave. With so many watch and phone issues am I really going but upgrade to iPadOS? Or give Catalina a second thought?

The old man must be rolling in his grave...

Thomas1023

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2019
Colorado
I am still having this issue (not being able to update) on an S3 I gave to my daughter - she has an 8+ with iOS 13 on it as well. Anybody else still not able to update?

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
So, 6.0.1 specifically targeting those watches that have lost their 'voices'; seems a pretty common problem to be number one on the patch list..
Works (eventually) on a series 4, doesn't work on a series 3. I'm not sure why but it took around half an hour or so for it to start working on a series 4. I'd written it off as another flop, but then it kicked in. This hasn't happened on the 3, it still doesn't work.

Calibration data, breathe app, no longer locks up and correctly reflects the daily activity.
Works on a series 4, does not work on a series 3

So now it looks like we're going to be subjected to a series of fast moving bodges whose intention is to rectify the last bodge....

Heres' a couple of assumptions Apple would like you to swallow..
Change equals better / improved...
It does not. Change simply means different, not better. Sadly in the majority of Apple software releases these days, change actually means the addition of features you haven't asked for and don't want and subsequent instability in functionality of existing features you've been enjoying...

Apple cares about you...
That might have been true, once, but now it does not; if it did it wouldn't chuck so much dodgy software at you. Remember, software failures are the primary source of access for hackers and failed software leaves things lying around in memory that can be taken advantage of. You cannot keep my data private if your software is unreliable. Security and reliability go hand in hand...

Apple cares about it's hardware.
Not any more, it's a dying revenue stream. It cares about services now, because that's a growing revenue stream. Watch the last key note... And, the last few phones and watches should be telling you this; the series 5 is a series 4 with an all day screen (and a useless App Store...). Why on earth would I use an App Store on a watch, it's like trying to read my email.. Anyone got a magnifying glass? And the iPhone 11 pro is an iPhone X with fancy cameras... If I really want good pictures, I won't be using a phone. ask the honest opinion of any real photographer..

If you're going to introduce features, don't destabilise the whole platform to do it and offer me something useful. That means something that's applicable to the platform and the target audience.

But, hey I hear you cry!! I can now turn my $1000 watch into a ten buck Casio (circa 1990) with a calculator care of watch OS 6 (note the version number)... Did it really take 6 versions to put a calculator on it?

And it looks like they've really botched up reminders.. Apparently I have to 'upgrade' them, but I can't do this till I'm on Catalina and iPadOS. I shifted back to High Sierra on my MacBook Pro after subjecting myself to a couple of months of Mojave. It's idling temperature dropped 15˚ using HS as opposed Mojave. With so many watch and phone issues am I really going but upgrade to iPadOS? Or give Catalina a second thought?

The old man must be rolling in his grave...

Well said! Very well said...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.