Series 3LTE and switching SIM with Android

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by geraldem, Oct 8, 2017.

1. geraldem macrumors regular

For the past few years I have always had a iPhone and a Samsung Note. I love being able to take my ATT SIM and swapping it between the two devices. It has never been an issue and always worked without problem. BUT NOW, with my new Apple Series 3 Watch with LTE, I don’t believe I can continue this approach. My understanding of NUMSYNC and how it works...if I change the SIM, and put into back into my Note8, it will break the NUMSYNC setup and my Apple Watch will no longer work when I eventually switch back to the Apple ecosystem.

Anyone have any experience or opinion on this. I really don’t want to try it as it took me 2 1/2 hours to get the Apple Watch setup with ATT.
    Thanks

2. madgalaxy macrumors regular

I would be curious about this as well. I do the same - switch between Android and iOS frequently. Unfortunately I can not test seeing I sold my S8 a few weeks (waiting for my Pixel 2 XL).

My initial guess would be it should not break anything. NumberSync is a switch-level feature where the two numbers are mated. NOW there could be issues with Notifications on the watch and some SMS/iMessage issues. The folks over at iMore did this and it seemed to work well.

3. fischersd macrumors 601

fischersd

It won't break the setup at the carrier - the association between the AT&T SIM and the eSIM in the watch is maintained. However, the Watch will work the same as if you had the iPhone turned off - ie no SMS forwarding, nor voice calling.

All of the features of the watch will be restored when you put the SIM back into the iPhone.

Enjoy it while it lasts....you know Apple getting the carriers to support eSIMs is a pre-cursor to doing the same in the iPhone. (likely not until 2019 though....will take that long to get the carriers around the world supporting eSIM provisioning). Mind you, they could do it in 2018...just have different SKU's for those carriers that aren't onboard yet.

4. denisej, Oct 8, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017

denisej macrumors newbie

denisej

I wanted to know this as well....I have the Note 8 and the Iphone 8 Plus/series 3 LTE combo. I switched my sim from the Iphone 8 plus to the Note 8 and used it all day on yesterday. This morning I removed the sim from the Note 8 and put it back in the Iphone 8 plus. I tried to make a call from the watch (with wifi and bluetooth turned off on the Iphone) and it worked so it seems to be working fine so far...I have not tried text messaging yet.

5. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

On t mobile. I do this everyday.
    Phone call works. I am not sure about text because i only know iphone users.

6. JayDH macrumors 6502

I have a Note 8/S3 Frontier and also an AWS3LTE I use with my iPhone SE (waiting for iPhone X). I switch my SIM between the Note and the iPhone frequently and my AWS3LTE has worked fine. However, I believe you can only have NumberSync set up between your SIM and one other wearable because shortly after I set up my AWS3LTE I got a text message that NumberSync for my S3 Frontier was canceled.

And by the way, so glad to see other folks switching between the Note and iPhone. My wife thinks I'm insane! The Note is such beautiful hardware, but I am pretty entrenched in iOS/iCloud, so I can't go all-in with Samsung. I wish I could just decide on one or the other, but I can't!

7. denisej macrumors newbie

denisej

No....you are definitely not alone...lol

8. geraldem thread starter macrumors regular

We are probably a small group, but probably all have the same likes. Spot on regarding the Note hardware...amazing. Love it. But I too am so entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, it is hard to not use. So I too “suffer” with not being able to make a decision. :)

9. Ixidor macrumors regular

I have a galaxy S8 and if I choose to use it with the Apple Watch (even with the series 2, that doesn’t have cellular), I simply just connect the watch to the S8 via cellular hotspot. My iPhone is sitting at home connected to wifi on the charger. Notifications easily come in and this saves battery on the watch.

10. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

edhchoe

I carry galaxy everyday because of Samsung pay. I don't carry cc or cash or wallet.