Series 4 Cellular and Bluetooth EarBuds.. Battery Drain

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by cmbauer, Oct 10, 2018.

1. cmbauer macrumors regular

cmbauer

So yesterday I woke up put my watch on the charger got it up to about 85% then headed to work. While at work, I was listening to my EarBuds and switched pairing between my PC and my iPhone depending on what task I was doing. Never Once did I pair them to my watch yesterday. By time I got home my watch was around 35 percent. I didnt do any workouts during this time. All I have sending to the watch is text messages. No emails or anything crazy. Was basically a normal day.

I have paired my earbuds to my watch before. Do I need to remove it every time?

Also our WIFI at the office was bouncing up and down all day. I wonder if the watch was spending alot of time trying to connect? Should I leave WIFI off since I pay for data?

Any thoughts?

2. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

The WiFi chip is going to be much more efficient for power usage (I’ll do lengthy phone calls with not nearly as big of a hit you’d get on LTE).

Streaming music over Bluetooth to AirPods will ding the battery - if doing it all day then I would expect a significant hit. If that is a common use case I would recommend having a charger at work and throwing it on the charger an hour or so before leaving the office - within 30 to 45 minutes it should be back to nearly a full charge leaving you to be able to go crazy with LTE usage at night etc. If you have a desk job that should be simple enough and something I’ve taken to as I use the watch in a much more primary way than standard usage where my phone gets not as much use these days.

3. cmbauer thread starter macrumors regular

cmbauer

No, I was only using my EarBuds connected to my phone and my PC, never connected to the watch. I was just thinking that maybe the Earbuds somehow were trying to connect to the watch all day??

4. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

No that would not be normal behavior the watch will only try to automatically pair to a new device if you tell it to or I have had it switch over to audio devices if I’m listening on bluetooth headphones and then turn on my bluetooth speaker where it’ll automatically switch over. If you aren’t playing audio on the watch though it shouldn’t try to connect to them.