Series 4 GPS + Cellular - won't connect to Sprint

jeffe23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
We just upgraded from series 3 to series 4 GPS + Cellular. Neither watch will connect to the Sprint network. We spent an hour on the phone last night with Apple and then 2 hours on the phone with Sprint with no resolution. Today, we got Apple and Sprint on the same phone call and everything looks correct on both the watches and our Sprint account. Sprint had us disconnect from the Sprint network and re install the subscription with no help. We have almost countless power cycles, unpair, repair etc. with no help. Apple has scheduled us for F2F support next week but I'm curious if anyone else has run into this now that the series 4's are shipping?

Thanks

Kermit262

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Central Ohio
My buddy has the S4 and is on Sprint. His watch successfully connects to the Sprint network. Went for a run with him yesterday and we left our phones behind. He was getting text messages and streaming music.

Just sharing so you know it's not an inherent problem with the Sprint network and S4.

jeffe23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
My buddy has the S4 and is on Sprint. His watch successfully connects to the Sprint network. Went for a run with him yesterday and we left our phones behind. He was getting text messages and streaming music.

Just sharing so you know it's not an inherent problem with the Sprint network and S4.
We have been on the phone daily with Apple tech support. They had a senior technical support agent try to help us and they called Sprint and we checked info on both the watch and in the Sprint account. They even had me uninstall Sprint and then resubscribe to no avail. These are two brand new watches we received Monday evening and here we are on Friday without them working. Apparently they can't be fixed with simple settings. The tech told us we may need to send them back for repair. At this point I want a refund as this product doesn't measure up to what they have in their advertisements.

Kermit262

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Central Ohio
That’s really a shame. Because I couldn’t decide on a color, I have had several Series 4 watches. Each one of them linked up to the cellular network with no problem, and so did my wife’s.

jeffe23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
That’s really a shame. Because I couldn’t decide on a color, I have had several Series 4 watches. Each one of them linked up to the cellular network with no problem, and so did my wife’s.
How could you have had "several series four watches" when they just started shipping them this week? The stores haven't had any stock...

jeffe23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
And why did you burn through several series watches 4 watches in 7 weeks pray tell?

jeffe23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
So we went to the Apple store tonight and they can't figure it out. They exchanged the two watches for two brand new watches. We went through the install with the genius folks and we still do not get a cellular connection. They don't know what to tell us other than contact Sprint. This is very frustrating that these watches don't appear to work with Sprint.

jeffe23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2018
After calling Sprint again and making an appointment to their store expert we still had two watches that would not connect to the network. I gave up with Sprint and we just moved over to T-Mobile. We got the SIMs last night and immediately activated the watches. Hooray! They both connected to the T-Mobile network with no issues. I can turn off my iPhone, disable WiFi on my watch and still dial out with the just the watch. The cellular button turns green after a moment and I get two green dots for signal strength on the watch. In any case, it appears there was nothing wrong with the watches and it was just bumbling on the part of Sprint tech support.

Reactions: tromboneaholic