Series 4, Gym rat / strength training first impressions

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by seble, Sep 24, 2018.

1. seble macrumors 6502a

The Apple Watch has become a staple on my wrist since its debut with series 0. But I was never willing to invest heavily in a stainless device which was going to become outdated, quickly. Despite my space grey aluminium becoming scratched up to the max (both on the case and the screen), I don’t regret my choice. A big reason behind getting the watch was for fitness, the fact I could accurately log all of my daily activity without lugging around a phone to do my strength training was all part of the appeal, but to be honest the watch didn’t fully deliver.

Why? Everyone with series 0 knows this thing was sluggish as hell! And I mean super sluggish. With continuing OS releases, the thing would struggle just to open the workout app. Before the latest watch os 4 release, my watch used to crash just starting a workout sometimes. Then the HR monitoring…

Well this was cool, but more a gimmick. It worked pretty well for running, but it sucked sucked sucked for strength training and gym based activities. Not only would it completely lose track of my HR during repetitions, it would play a 2 minute catch-up game to retrieve a beat, which would be pointless as I was then ready for my next set. And then when it decided to half that to a 1-minute catch up time, it would often decide that my heartrate should be half of what it was. 56 bpm after having just finished doing a set of chin ups, I don’t think so Apple.

Of course, this could all be solved with a BT heart rate chest monitor, but the simplicity and point of the AW really is to remove the need for such devices.

Well, I’m pleased that the one big gripe with the AW seems largely solved. Now I can’t comment on generation’s in-between series 0 and 4, but as the HR sensor is largely the same design I would assume little had changed.

Finally, the AW, is able to (seemingly accurately) keep track of my heart rate through a strength workout (especially one involving arms)! Dumbbell shoulder raises no longer cause the apple watch to enter a flurry, and the milliseconds it takes to re-find my heart rate, result in it landing on the correct figure, and not the half it should be.

While it’s difficult to accurately calculate calorie burned during a strength-based workout, Apple finally make a convincing case that the Series 4 watch is the watch to have if you’re more serious about your strength training. I’m super happy with this purchase, and the stainless case (with black sport band for workout) has been perfect.

Tl,dr; the watch is great for fitness training, and is able to accurately pinpoint my heartbeat after doing sets.

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I have to agree. 95% of the physical activity I do is weight based and even with the series 3, I could sit and stare at my watch as it tried to find a rate for the entire rest period between sets before saying "whatever" and continuing on. With the series 4, EVERY time I look at my watch it immediately updates my heart rate and like you said, I'm no longer seeing high 40's and low 50's in the middle of my workouts.

3. big samm macrumors 65816

big samm

I had the same problem with my series 0 and 3...
    I would do a set of let’s say deadlift then check the watch and i would see my heart rate at 67, i was like what the f??? Then bought a polar heart rate monitor chest strap, and wow what a difference! This thing accurate on the dot You can connect it straight to the watch, no phone needed. I will try to do a workout on the S4 without the chest strap monitor and see if it’s better than the S0 and S3...

4. big samm macrumors 65816

big samm

Also how can i get back Strength training in the workout app? I can’t seem to find it anymore...

5. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

It was at the bottom of the list the first time I started a workout with the S4.

6. big samm macrumors 65816

big samm

Got it thanks!

7. seble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Disappointed to announce that it was absolute crap with my milanese loop doing a chest workout yesterday.

It struggled to lock onto a heartbeat completely, telling me it hadn't changed after / during a set and decided my entire 1 hour workout was worth just 26 calories burned, even less than the dodgy series 0. My watch was acting a bit weird yesterday anyway so we'll see how it goes tonight.

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

26 calories?! Sounds like you need to step up your game!

Seriously though, my last chest workout was 1:01:02 and came in at 365 calories. If it keeps up with that you definitely need to visit a genius.

9. Lowhangers macrumors member

Lowhangers

I just looked, I don't see strength training listed either. Is there a way to add it?

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Have you used it before?

If not, you have to select "Other" when you start your workout then assign Strength Training to it when at the end of the workout. After you do this once, it will be available to select when you begin.

11. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

I think that’s more the bands fault than the watch.