Series 4 LTE Function Question

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by cmbauer, Sep 28, 2018.

1. cmbauer macrumors regular

cmbauer

So I bought a series 4 LTE mainly to start leaving my phone behind for certain things like working out, dates, meetings etc.

I have never had an LTE version and wanted to ask a couple questions

- should I get iMessages when away from phone? The reason I ask, the other day I got an iMessage and it said on the watch please see your phone to view message
    - If I get a call, and decline, can I check my voicemails from the watch?
    - Can I connect my watch to my bluetooth in my car to stream music?

Thanks ahead of time for any responses

2. dthiss01 macrumors newbie

dthiss01

I too bought a S4 LTE to be able to untether from my phone more.

1. You will get messages, I assume they are iMessages, but not 100% on that
    2. Yes voicemail is available on the watch.
    3. I personally have not been able to connect to any of my cars to stream music, but not tried hard. I did connect to one of them and was able to make and receive calls, which is more important to me than streaming music.

3. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

1. Yes - you get iMessages, certain photos aren’t viewable on the watch however, many are, not sure what the size threshold is or what determines that, I’ve viewed iMessages with videos in it on the watch, so unclear there.
    - For SMS your phone just needs to be turned on and connected to WiFi or LTE somewhere in the world.
    2. Yes on voicemail
    3. Bluetooth to car depends on your stereo - some work, some don’t - Bluetooth speakers pair quite easily, but car stereos are a mixed bag.

4. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Question about that last line. Is that a typo and you meant to write your watch just needs to be turned on or do I really need to leave my phone on and connected to get messages on my watch? I thought the whole point of the watch was not having to worry about the phone at all.

5. musicpenguy macrumors 65816

For iMessages you are good to go with the phone off, but for some reason SMS functions the same way notifications work on the watch for apps that aren’t installed on the watch - where the iPhone functions like a little Apple Watch server feeding you info and for SMS it’ll push from the phone over the internet to your watch. In use this isn’t noticeable at all, just something to keep in mind.