Series 4 no longer unlocking Mac (mini 2018)

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by pinkoos, Apr 4, 2019.

1. pinkoos macrumors 6502a

There's a long thread over in the Mac mini forum about many people having Bluetooth issues (myself included).

And, it seems that one of the issues may be that my Series 4 will only unlock my Mac mini maybe 1 out of 10 times on average.

Everything is running the latest OS and I've rebooted the watch and Mac multiple times (to troubleshoot this problem or another problem or just during the course of my normal usage), but that doesn't seem to solve the problem.

And, I've double checked the pref pane in Settings to make sure that I've set the watch to unlock the Mac. I've even unchecked it, rebooted and then checked it back on again, but with no real luck.

Any ideas?

2. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Speaking of unlock, my MacID (or Unlox) works great sometimes and does not work at all other times.
    I would assume this is a combination of chip selection and engineering which causes such poor Bluetooth performance.

3. pinkoos thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it seems that my Logitech trackball receiver thingy (plugged into the Mac mini) was interfering with the Apple Watch unlocking the mini. I went back to my Magic Trackpad and removed the receiver thingy and my watch has magically starting unlocking the Mac again.

4. Fleetboy macrumors newbie

All of a sudden my series 4 stopped unlocking my iMAC - but only for the first startup each morning. That was for a week or two, and now it appears to be working fine. Never had any issues prior to this event.

5. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

Hmm. Sounds like Apple Watch uses Bluetooth to unlock Mac, just like MacID. Theoretically, there is no need for 2FA. But oh well.

6. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

I’ve noticed my watch stops unlocking my iMac after other people start signing in and jumping between profiles. If I boot it up and only sign into my profile it will work every time.

7. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

I usually hit the shift key to unlock and I've noticed lately that it's often prompting me for the password instead of unlocking with my Apple Watch even though it says it's going to do just that initially.

8. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

This feature has always been hit and miss with all the previous generations of Apple watch I've owned (0, 3). I had it working quite well with my series 3 for a while, then I upgraded to the series 4 a few weeks ago and I've not gotten it to work yet. I don't know if it is the update to MacOS or the watch OS update.

9. shmob macrumors newbie

I literally had this working FLAWLESSLY with my custom build hackintosh. For months. I decided to sell it, as I wanted a real mac again, so I got the Mac mini 2018. Now, my Apple Watch 4 never unlocks it. Ever. I tried all the things, unpairing, repairing, signing in/out of iCloud, updating all the software, waiting for the next software. This makes no sense and it is driving me mad.

10. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

Interesting. I don't have a Mini but I have no problems with my Series 0 and 4 opening my MacBook. Even when my Series 0 has been turned off for weeks.

You could try contacting Apple and have them reset your iCloud account.