Series 4...the watch falls off!

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Whats up with this band?! You close the band by pushing that poky thing into a hole but...it falls out! Then the watch goes flying! Anyone know whats up with this? I don't see complains anywhere else so am I doing something wrong here? I don't think so....thanks.

Shadow Jolteon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
United States
It sounds like you may have one or both of the sides of the bands put on upside down. The "44MM" and "S/M" or "M/L" text printed to the point nearest where it attaches to the watch should be facing down (as to not be visible when you're wearing it), and you'll likely hear a little "click" when it pops into place. It shouldn't be difficult to slide the band into the slots.

When you put it on, the hole should pop onto the metal button part, then tuck into the slot behind that.

More information: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204665

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
I didn't explain properly I guess. I just meant putting the watch on your wrist. I put it together properly. I understand how the bands slide into place....I did that....but while wearing the watch it just falls off. The "pin" just pops out of the hole and the watch goes flying. Cool design but it doesn't function the best. Would be nice if it somehow "locked" once put on your wrist. Its a pretty expensive toy for such a lame design that doesn't lock. Most watches sort of "lock" on your wrist and would never just fly off.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
I didn't explain properly I guess. I just meant putting the watch on your wrist. I put it together properly. I understand how the bands slide into place....I did that....but while wearing the watch it just falls off. The "pin" just pops out of the hole and the watch goes flying. Cool design but it doesn't function the best. Would be nice if it somehow "locked" once put on your wrist. Its a pretty expensive toy for such a lame design that doesn't lock. Most watches sort of "lock" on your wrist and would never just fly off.
You put the remaining band through the slit so the end sits below the band? The last one who claimed to do it the right way went silent after he posted pics... so post pics before blaming bad design.

Shadow Jolteon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
United States
That is really strange, it should hold very firmly, even if you're waving your arms around. Would you be able to post a picture of how it's holding together on yours?

If it's a first party band that's defective and not holding on, I would definitely take it to Apple and I'm sure they'll swap you out for a new one right away.

Reactions: Breezygirl

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
You might want to read the instructions on your band. We do not even know what kind of band it is!

Either your band is defective or you are wearing it wrong or this place would be going crazy with threads about their watch just falling off and it is not.

staggerlee41

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Are you at the very edge of either the S/M or M/L band?

With sport bands using the M/L size I'm on the next to the last hole of the band, wrist size is somewhere between 8-8 1/4 and it's not ever popped off my wrist even when I've used the very last hole in the sport band. Tucking the excess strap through the slot in the shorter band with the pin will help keep it in place.

Alternatively if you're not happy with the sport band, try a sport loop, they aren't going to fall off.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
The concave part of the band should be against your skin, as should the printing on your band.

When you lay the watch down on a table face up with the two ends of the band straight out flat, the pin should be facing up, not down.
[doublepost=1543525673][/doublepost]
Tucking the excess strap through the slot in the shorter band with the pin will help keep it in place.
I didn't appreciate that until I got my first Apple Watch, but it's also a neat little solution for dealing with the excess part of the band that would normally be hanging off on a traditional band with a buckle.

Last edited:
Reactions: staggerlee41

yui4

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2011
Whats up with this band?! You close the band by pushing that poky thing into a hole but...it falls out! Then the watch goes flying! Anyone know whats up with this? I don't see complains anywhere else so am I doing something wrong here? I don't think so....thanks.
Is it an apple band or aftermarket band?

Some aftermarket band quality is shocking