Series 4 Watch Vs Series 0 - Issues....

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Dino F, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Dino F macrumors 68030

Dino F

I have been recently been wearing my new Stainless Steel Space Black 44mm Apple Watch, after upgrading from my old Series 0. Using my new watch daily, and comparing it to my previous Series 0 watch, I am encountering the following issues:

1. Apple Pay: This is failing around 50% of the time whenever I use it on London transport (buses and underground trains). I double tap the side button on the watch as I approach the card reader, and I see my Santander debit card showing on the screen of the watch so I know the watch is ready. However, as I said, at least 50% of the time, when I touch or hover near the card reader, either the watch or the barrier will give an error (the card reader at the barrier shows a green light when successful but a red light when unsuccessful) and I have to double tap the side button on the watch again, to try it again, and it finally works. The watch always says something like, “Hold the watch near the reader”, which I was doing anyway, OR, it just says, “Double tap the side button and try again”. Its quite frustrating really because my old Series 0 watch would never fail with this – it worked 100% of the time. I am not doing anything differently…..???

2. Activity Rings: On my old watch, my Move Activity Ring (the red one!), was always set to about 270/280 and more often than not, I would fill this ring almost every day (the Activity ring would show I had filled it to about 280-290). Now, on my new watch, again I have the Activity Ring set to 270/280 and I am doing exactly the same daily activates (commuting to and from work and walking about inside an office), but it is reporting that I am now smashing the Move Activity Ring and showing a score of about 320??! Is the new watch much more sensitive to movement or something?!?

3. Waking the Screen: On my old watch, upon turning my wrist to view the time (no tapping the screen)m the screen would illuminate for a good 10 seconds giving me ample time to read it. My new watch (I have timed this several times), upon turning my wrist, the screen is ONLY illuminating for 5 seconds which is not enough time to read all the complications on the screen so I have to return my wrist again to illuminate it again to finish reading the screen??! Why is the screen time illuminating so short on the new watches???

:mad:

2. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

On the last point, my S3 also stays on for only ~5 secs. Maybe it is OS5?

3. alFR macrumors 68020

Not in London so don't use on TfL but it seems to work fine on other types of contactless terminal for me. Is yours OK elsewhere? If so, that would suggest an issue with the TfL system / the way it's communicating with your card issuer rather than the watch. Maybe try your phone instead of the watch and see if the same happens?

There have been a few similar reports on here, so maybe. Mine seems broadly similar to my S3, so I'd guess it's just that the accelerometers have got better over time and your S0 was under-reporting. You can always increase your move goal. ;)

Seems to be by design, probably to save battery with the larger screen. Tapping it will still wake it for longer (15 or 70 seconds depending on the setting) if you need it, but I pretty quickly got used to it tbh and it hasn't bothered me really.

4. Dino F thread starter macrumors 68030

Dino F

Just as an update on this, I tried this again last night on my commute home as had to get the bus once again but I made a point of double tapping the side button and then actually waiting until the debit card showed on the screen with the word, 'Ready...' on the screen, before touching towards the card reader and it worked first time with no issues.

Perhaps, before, I was double tapping the side button and moving my wrist towards the card reader at exactly the same time as Apple Pay was initializing and I was hitting the card reader a fraction of a second just before Apple Pay had fully initialized, hence the previous errors...!

Will be back in the underground tomorrow so will have to further monitor this!

Just one other thing:

Workouts : When I walk on my commute home, I walk at a fairly brisk pace, with my hands in my jacket pockets but occasionally, my watch thinks I am doing an Outdoor run so it notifies me with something like, "Doing a Workout?" Is there anyway to stop this?

5. alFR macrumors 68020

Glad it seems to be sorted. You can turn off the start and end workout reminders in the workout app settings in the watch app on the phone.

6. matrix07 macrumors 601

matrix07

Just check Start Workout Reminder and End Workout Reminder off.