Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I was given a series 5 non-cellular Apple watch running the latest OS and want to give it to a non-techie relative to use for the next couple of years.

The battery is currently at 86% and the Apple site says the battery should be changed at 80%.

I'm wondering:

1) if Apple will change the battery even though it's at 86%; and

2) whether I should leave it until the watch reaches 80%.

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Do you have AppleCare+?

Regardless, Apple won't replace it, and since it's all software, it may never show <80%. It's not a linear type of thing.

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
The only chance Apple would replace it is if you had AppleCare+, and even then, they won't unless it's under 80%. At this point, it's a 5 year old model that is well outside of normal warranty.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
No, needs to be below 80%, quite a few posts in this here, and experiences.
If you can get them to run a diagnostics and see what their too says, that might be helpful, or not

Audit13

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for all of the replies. I was able to get Apple to replace a battery in an iPhone X at 85%. I wanted a new phone battery before they upped the price.

I'll give away the watch as-is and let them worry about it later.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Thanks for all of the replies. I was able to get Apple to replace a battery in an iPhone X at 85%. I wanted a new phone battery before they upped the price.

I'll give away the watch as-is and let them worry about it later.
When you get a battery replacement on a watch, they replace the watch with a new refurbished unit. This is the main reason they won't replace the battery unless it reads below 80% on Apples diagnostic equipment. It doesn't matter what reading the watch gives, it's Apples call.. iPhones are different because they replace the battery only and you get your phone back

Audit13

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
When you get a battery replacement on a watch, they replace the watch with a new refurbished unit. This is the main reason they won't replace the battery unless it reads below 80% on Apples diagnostic equipment. It doesn't matter what reading the watch gives, it's Apples call.. iPhones are different because they replace the battery only and you get your phone back
Oh wow, I didn't know this. Thank you so much! I will pass this news on to the new owner of the watch.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.