Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Hi guys, just picked up a series 5 stainless yesterday and I fully charged it last night. Wore it all night and this morning it was at around 89%.

Had it on all day, did no activity in the gym like I normally do and just checked the battery level and its already down to 29%.

Cellular has been off all day also. No other usage other than checking the time etc.

My 4 gps by now, including doing an activity would be around 40%

Is it too early to say if I have an issue or is this normal batt usage on the 5?

Protozo

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2017
Same issue, I bought a aw5 and have now 52%, on the other wrist I have with the same use the aw4, with 65% of battery...

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
And, oddly, My new AW5 (GPS) is getting slightly better / close to same (first day) as my AW4 (Cellular) did (I rarely used it on cellular... so I am taking a chance after two years of having cellular since I almost always have my phone with me, and the cellular KILLED battery).

It seems to be running about the same for me - with AOD on. It's not great mind you. I am at 43% at 4:30pm after going off charge at 6am and having an hour of workouts (in the gym.) But it should still last the day.

mhn1234

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
I had a similar problem with my series 5. I would put the watch on at 9 am and it would run out of battery by 9 pm

i did some searching on google and it seems there is a bug in the always on display feature

i turned it off and now if I put the watch on at 9 am it I’ll have over 50% battery left by 1 or 2 am

don’t know if this will solve your problem but it did wonders for me

mhn1234

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
Forgot to mention that always on display is only a feature in the series 5 so my solution won’t work on earlier models

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
I’ve not seen the “always on’ feature, let em check the settings. Bizarrely I have had it on all day today and right now it’s at 54% so doing very good today

mhn1234

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
I’ve not seen the “always on’ feature, let em check the settings. Bizarrely I have had it on all day today and right now it’s at 54% so doing very good today

do you have a series 5? It’s only available on that series. If you have a series 5 it’s under settings/Display and Brightness both in the watch and the watch app on the iPhone

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
do you have a series 5? It’s only available on that series. If you have a series 5 it’s under settings/Display and Brightness both in the watch and the watch app on the iPhone

Yep, only got it the other day in the Apple store. However, I have now found it and turned that feature off :) seems to be better, thing it may have needed to be used and charged/discharged a couple of times?

mhn1234

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
Yes that would be true for any new watch. I’ve had mine since day one so it wasn’t a problem fo me. All Ne lithium batteries need a few charge cycles to get them worked in

Reactions: Ericdjensen

Ericdjensen

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2019
VA
My S5’s battery life improved significantly a few weeks after I bought it. I thought software updates improved it but now I’m thinking that’s not the case. I would just use it normally and see if it improves. I would also keep on AOD since that’s pretty much the whole point of the S5, but that’s obviously up to you.

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
About a week ago my S5 notified me at 4pm of low battery. When I checked, it was down to 12%! I had the same watch face on for days and had not installed any new apps. I have not had the same problem since, so I don't know what was wrong!

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Why would you turn off the primary difference from your old S4 to the new S5?

I just received a new unit from Apple yesterday, after my old had issues. I heard that it needs a few days before the battery is fully "run in" - it's indexing and more the first days.

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
My S5’s battery life improved significantly a few weeks after I bought it. I thought software updates improved it but now I’m thinking that’s not the case. I would just use it normally and see if it improves. I would also keep on AOD since that’s pretty much the whole point of the S5, but that’s obviously up to you.

I am finding after a week the battery is improving. It is about at the level the S4 was. Still loses a lot with workouts; if I am going a full long day with workouts I find I have to top it off in the late afternoon. But that was true with the S4 too. I get a lot of notifications...

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
I am finding after a week the battery is improving. It is about at the level the S4 was. Still loses a lot with workouts; if I am going a full long day with workouts I find I have to top it off in the late afternoon. But that was true with the S4 too. I get a lot of notifications...

I’ve been wearing my S4 since 6.45 am and it’s now 11.50pm and I’m at 49% even with a 40 minute run without my phone and gps and heart rate etc. - that’s pretty great

ledzepfan1981

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
I’ve been wearing my S4 since 6.45 am and it’s now 11.50pm and I’m at 49% even with a 40 minute run without my phone and gps and heart rate etc. - that’s pretty great

Certainly is! I was up at 8am today and the only thing that I did differently was reply to messages a few times in Telegram using my watch and by 12pm it was down to 52%, whereas normally it’s in the 60’s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.