Series 5 rubbish battery

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
I have the cellular 40mm version of this. My battery is less than 5% after only 13 hours. This is the same every day. My husbands 44 inch can last him nearly 2 days. I hardly have any apps on it.

Have I got a bad battery?

StumpyBloke

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2012
England
I’m sure the 40mm battery is smaller.

Regardless, you’ve not given us any indication on how you use your watch throughout the day and if you use cellular that gobbles battery.

My series 5 44mm cellular will last me reasonably comfortably for a day but no chance 2.

Reactions: jbachandouris

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2015
The battery in the Series 5 40mm is 10% bigger than the Series 4 40mm. You should easily get 2 days if there is nothing drawing too much power in it.

Reactions: jbachandouris

purpleparrotuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I’m doing no activity just looking at a few messages throughout the day on wifi. Get up at 7am and it’s nearly dead by 8pm. Is it just because of the always on screen?

IJBrekke

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2009
Long Beach, CA
Thanks for the replies. I’m doing no activity just looking at a few messages throughout the day on wifi. Get up at 7am and it’s nearly dead by 8pm. Is it just because of the always on screen?
The first test is to turn off the always-on display, then compare it for a few days to your husband’s battery life. That should tell a lot.

alien3dx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2017
I have the cellular 40mm version of this. My battery is less than 5% after only 13 hours. This is the same every day. My husbands 44 inch can last him nearly 2 days. I hardly have any apps on it.

Have I got a bad battery?
i only use it 12 pm to 12 and still have half

StumpyBloke

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2012
England
Is your phone always nearby? Doesn’t sound like great usage to battery ratio to me. As other have said here, I’d get it replaced.

alien3dx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2017
Is your phone always nearby? Doesn’t sound like great usage to battery ratio to me. As other have said here, I’d get it replaced.
my mac,macbook pro,ipad,iphone always nearby. 47% from 12 am to now 7 pm consider as 19 hour on apple watch series 5 40 mm and new update phone and watch

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Sadly i think bad battery life is well known on the series 5. Yes it lasts all day but at 23:00 last night mine was on 5% left after off the charger at 8am.

someoneoutthere

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2014
The Great Lakes State
Hi there,

1) If you upgraded from an older AW, do a factory reset on the AW and set it up from scratch (don’t restore from a backup.)
2) Go into the Watch app on your iPhone —> General —> make sure Automatic App Install is off.
3) Go into the Watch app on your iPhone —> General —> make sure Background App Refresh is off for irrelevant apps.
4) Go into the Watch app on your iPhone —> General —> Wake Screen —> make sure you have Wake Screen on Wrist Raise and Wake Screen on Crown Up are off.
5) Go into the Watch app on your iPhone —> Siri —> make sure Listen for Hey Siri and Raise to Speak are both off if you are not using Siri on your Apple Watch. You can always press the crown and say “Turn on the lights” or “Send a message to X”
6) If you typically have your iPhone on you, turn off cellular and see if that helps.
7) You can also uninstall all the irrelevant apps that are already installed on your AW by going into the Watch app on your iPhone, scrolling down to the section where it says “Installed on Apple Watch”, click on the name of the app and toggle “Show App on Apple Watch).

Good luck!

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2015
No point in having a series 5 to turn it off :)
Unless you always wanted a Ceramic series 4 🤣 like me!

Hi there,

1) If you upgraded from an older AW, do a factory reset on the AW and set it up from scratch (don’t restore from a backup.)
2) Go into the Watch app on your iPhone —> General —> make sure Automatic App Install is off.
3) Go into the Watch app on your iPhone —> General —> make sure Background App Refresh is off for irrelevant apps.
4) Go into the Watch app on your iPhone —> General —> Wake Screen —> make sure you have Wake Screen on Wrist Raise and Wake Screen on Crown Up are off.
5) Go into the Watch app on your iPhone —> Siri —> make sure Listen for Hey Siri and Raise to Speak are both off if you are not using Siri on your Apple Watch. You can always press the crown and say “Turn on the lights” or “Send a message to X”
6) If you typically have your iPhone on you, turn off cellular and see if that helps.
7) You can also uninstall all the irrelevant apps that are already installed on your AW by going into the Watch app on your iPhone, scrolling down to the section where it says “Installed on Apple Watch”, click on the name of the app and toggle “Show App on Apple Watch).

Good luck!
For the OP - in this case I would just suggest in step 3, just disable background app refresh completely for a few days after doing all the steps. All of that is a perfect way to troubleshoot any issue that might, or might not be the battery.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
I suspect something is up with the OP's battery. My 40mm S5 battery easily lasts all day and I take it off the charger at 7am and usually take it off my wrist to charge around 8:30pm (battery is usually around 40-50%). I have AOD on and usually just vet texts and check the time throughout the day.

waw74

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2008
try an unpair and re-pair
a while back, my s0 would be dead in 3 hours, this sorted it out.

-------couple notes
-you can backup and then restore from that backup., so you shouldn't loose any data
-make sure you have some time before you need it, it can take up to an hour
-make sure you've got a decent charge, and put it on the charger once you've re-paired.
-after doing this (or any OS upgrade) I've seen battery life suffer for a couple days, so wait a day or 2 before passing judgment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.