Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
I’m loving the Titanium finish on my news Series 6. Which got me thinking...

The Edition costs $100 more than the Stainless Steel model in the same size, with the same band. But it comes with a special, additional sport band ($49 value) and the wall adapter ($19 value) which means the cost to “upgrade” materials is only around $30. Apple is surprisingly low key about both of these items being included with the Edition watches, and while I’m sure some people prefer the look of Stainless Steel, the jump seems easier to make than ever.

It’s interesting to me that the Edition has changed the way it has over the years. I understand it was meant to be a changing collection of special finishes and options for a smaller group of customers. The original gold Editions seemed to do their job of creating a halo effect and getting it marketed in the fashion world. Ceramic was an interesting alternative, same with Titanium. But what are Ceramic Series 5 owners thinking now? Skip Series 6 (probably the best option for many)? Switch to Titanium (a totally different look) just to stay in the “Edition” line? “Downgrade” to Steel or Aluminum? Upgrade laterally to Hermes? I was worried Titanium wouldn’t be offered this year, and now that I have it and love it, I’m wondering what my options will be when I want a new watch in a couple of years.

All in all an OK problem to have, but it’s so different from iPhones, Macs, etc. where, even if you hold onto a product for five years or step away from the Apple ecosystem for a while, there will probably be a comparable product offered when you want another one.

Maybe this just highlights the difference between selling a tech gadget and selling a fashion item, and the weirdness of selling a product that is kind of both.

craigc_

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
You also get double the limited warranty with the edition models. AppeCare is also double as a result, however.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2011
In the pictures, titanium and aluminum look so similar..
My aluminum Apple watch 5 does not have any scratches after 1 year. And it is 4-5g lighter than titanium.
However, I like the new Baltic blue leather strap and I ordered one for my aluminum AW6.

My aluminum Apple watch 5 does not have any scratches after 1 year. And it is 4-5g lighter than titanium.
However, I like the new Baltic blue leather strap and I ordered one for my aluminum AW6.
Alum seems too cheap plus it doesn’t have a sapphire crystal.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I’ve had the sssb 4, tisb 5 and now the graphite SS. they are all dlc so durability is the same from my exp. titanium is a novelty. Ti has the worst trade in/retail value.

MTD's Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Los Angeles
The difference is definitely subtle, though a bit more pronounced in person than in photos (to my eyes). My old (gold) Aluminum collected a couple scratches in two years, as did my Stainless Steel (though those could be buffed out).

Agree, Baltic blue looks great!

Reactions: edhchoe
I have never gotten scratches on my watch crystals over the years.
But I can understand that brushed titanium would look more fancy in flesh.

which one do you like the most?

Attachments

• E67B5400-6D54-48AC-A2AF-B0AAB9C971DC.jpeg
    E67B5400-6D54-48AC-A2AF-B0AAB9C971DC.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 615

Jjry

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2021
Can you specify what you mean by “Edition,” please? I can’t find a titanium Apple Watch 6 that comes with an extra sport band and wall adapter.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
the titanium watches are called Apple Watch "Edition." In prior years gold and ceramic were also branded as "Edition."
Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 8.42.30 PM.png

If you click on a titanium watch and scroll down to "what's in the box," you'll see this:
Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 8.44.12 PM.png

The space black titanium comes with a dark gray band instead of the light gray.

Not sure the Ti watches still come with a power adapter though. Doesn't look like it, from the above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.